Bulletproof RIB

Discussion in 'Materials' started by yipster, Dec 5, 2011.

1. yipster

yipster designer

Kevlar but not sure its allready on tv bteween unmanned drones on nat geo
    from my old android 2.2 many html dont work, searchbuttons above are a nono too so cant check, any authority's interested?

2. yipster

yipster designer

That be foam filled colars, sorry.
    but seriously, is kevlar used in for example poly gunboats?
    or that glas/alu laminate?

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Ive seen bullet proof megayachts. Alwgrip covered floating apartment blocks with helicopters , built in the Netherlands for people like Pharos , Dictators, Oil Barons and Finacial types with to much money, who are worried for their personal safety . The hull and superstructure was conventional aluminium plating with kevlar fabric cladding...like insulation...on the inside of the hull. Evidently ...an expensive option...but it allows you to get a good nights sleep.

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I know some guys from one of the most elite anti-terrorist policing agencies in the world and I've been on their RIB's and I can tell you they are not kevlar.

-Tom

5. susho

susho Composite builder

For optimum puncture resistance aramid fibres are used dry, densely woven, in multiple layers, like described by Michael Pierzga. Aramids in laminates are there as a safety factor, so that if the laminate of the less tensile glass or carbon will fail, the aramid will keep it togheter. it will be harder to puncture, yes, but bulletproof, I don't think so. Maybe it will keep some shrapnel away, together with the laminate and a foam core to absorb some energy. The new interceptor developed by Damen for the Dutch Navy has a layer (or more?) vectran in it's hull.