Minimum size for ride comfort?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SamM1234, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Talking of mono hulls and cats --both motion can make you sick if its not what your used to. You can get land sickness if you have been at sea long enough.

Its simply a motion that you are not expecting.

I remember a friend who had a cat paid me a visit on my mono hull on anchor, after a while he excused himself to return to his cat as he was feeling nauseous. I visited him and experienced nausea too.

I know many people that aclimatize them selves to ocean motion by going on a mooring for a day or two. This is not a cure but it helps a lot, especially if you've got a newbie on board.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

D Gerr covers "Surge" , in his book. Graph included for ocean going boats.

FF

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Maybe this thread is still alive. I just ran across this picture of some of the BEST seating I've seen OR set on myself.:)

Attached Files:

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Couple a complaints already Ted. No drink holders, ash trays or rod holders. I suppose the personalized table is out of view, otherwise how is this going to be comfy ?

5. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

This isn't "rod holder" seating. The post was for comfortable guest seating while taking in the sights on a sunset tour.
    Ah, but you're right, mo good deed goes unpunished1 Sorry I woke you.:(

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I'm not shooting your post down Ted, I was just looking at the pic and they do look really nice, you confirmed the comfort of them. Since one is going to pay top $ for them, I missed the functionality, but that's probably just me.

Given a choice of the ones like on your picture and the same ones where you can put a bit of loose things in, like keys, binoculars or other loose ends and yes a drink holder, I'll choose the latter. Te-he... someone may forget some small change in their's :rolleyes:

Personally I prefer seating with arm rests too, feel uncomfortable for me if my arms hang. One can also make a faster get-up out of a chair when THE FISH IS BITING :D

Really nice looking chairs. An don't be so sensitive, if it has ****, tires, or a transom, there's gonna be issues !

7. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Sorry, you're right, a bit sensitive. The guys boat is probably fitted out by now anyway.
    I thought these seats were a good "visual". Not perfect, but intended more for inside seats I think. I can see 2 sets, facing each other, with a couple "plug in" tables, (WITH drink holder holes), and 6 people enjoying their cruise.
    BUT... that's just me, I'm a hopeless &**%* romantic. My arse has sat on worse.:D

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I always say, the dog chasing the rabbit doesn't know it has fleas. It is the one lying about the yard that does the scratching...

My advice to SamM1234 would be to get his passengers to keep buzy and make it fun, there mustn't be time to become seasick. I almost doubt if the seats would make that much of a difference.

Have some ginger cookies for everyone, the green ones you force feed ;)

You can't and won't please everyone every time and all the time. Some people were sea sick already when they heard of the trip. My ex is like that.

Maybe if the seats really hurt, like the church ones they won't have time to get sea sick but complain about the seats instead :D

The best trick would be to keep everyone buzy and interested.

9. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Allow me to translate that for landlubbers:)
    "Sick, pucking & rushing to the rails"
    :D :D :D :D :D

10. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The other option for cruising as well as "closing the deal" is a motorhome RV . Some of those things are opulent beyond belief. The big ones wont rock or pitch even when there is some athletic pursuit inside. You won't even need PFDs. Cost about the same as an equivalent boat. The only drawback is that they do not sail very well.

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Submarine, any size...

12. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

I've often thought of buying an old Airstream and putting it on an oversized pontoon boat. That right there's high-style livin', y'all!

13. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

It ain't no Airstream, but.......:D

Attached Files:

14. SamM1234

SamM1234 Junior Member

Actually, looks like someone took this idea very seriously. Take a look at this http://www.terrawind.com/terrawind.htm, an amphibious motor coach yacht. It's good to see that for every conceivable idea, there's an entrepreneur who's done it already. I bet I could find a submarine coach too if I looked on the net some moreā€¦

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.