Minimum, reasonal space for a 20' double chine plywood sailboat?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by DC Landis, Jan 11, 2016.

1. DC Landis

DC Landis Junior Member

I have fit two 18' boats with trailer tongues protruding directly for and aft in my garage and the garage doors shut and locked.

I am now considering building a performance 20' chine hulled racing sailboat. The boat will physically fit in the garage, but moving, turning, flipping boat as needed could be a problem. Boat should not have to be lofted as design will be downloaded to templates.

Any thoughts from a builder, power or sail that has wrestled with a similar situation?

Thanks to all, DC Landis

2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I'm building a 24' trailerable, shallow draft sailboat with minimal space available for for building. I have a total of 4-5 feet free for both sides. Typically, it is pushed against one wall to give max space on the other side for doing floor work (sawing, etc.). If I need room to work on the other side, I can push it away from the wall. It is on a cradle with free swiveling castors. I do have extra length in the garage and have roughly a 12' x 12' work area at the end of the boat. The beam of the boat is 8' and I was able to roll it over with only the 4-5 feet of excess width. If I truly needed more space, I could roll the other boat out of the garage. This is probably to minimum width to work with. Any less and my frustration level would rise rapidly due to a lack of space.

The general rule is 3' all the way around your boat. On top of that are areas to do bench work and maybe a place for your floor saw if working with wood. Summer time is great because your shop can be as big as the great outdoors. Wintertime, I get a little more claustrophobic.

3. DC Landis

DC Landis Junior Member

Thanks LP, I enjoy hearing from an actual boat builder in a similar situation that I could find myself in shortly. I'm hoping that placing the boat diagonally in my garage will provide adequate space. The cradle with swiveling castors is a great idea. I think I can deal with slightly tight quarters in return for walking directly into my garage to build my boat. Cheers all!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.