Minimum Passagemaker/Cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mydauphin, Sep 29, 2010.

?

What is minimum that you can handle?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2010.
  1. I can only live in a proper yacht

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Need: Size between 40 and 50 feet

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Need: Size between 30 and 40 feet

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Need: Size smaller than 30 feet ok

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. Need: Power

22 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. Need: Sail

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  7. Need: Single Engine

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  8. Need: Twin Engine

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  9. Need: Head and holding tank

26 vote(s)
    78.8%
  10. Need: Air conditioner and Generator

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  11. Need: Watermaker

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  12. I don't care if interior looks like my garage

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  13. Need: DC Power Only

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  14. Need: Carpeting

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  15. Need: Wood floors

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  16. Need: Satellite TV

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  17. Need: Internet

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  18. Need: Hot Water Shower

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  19. Need: Manual Bilge pumps

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  20. Need: Propane Stove

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  21. Need: Freezer

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  22. Need: A boat that won't shame me at the marina.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  23. Need: Windlass

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  24. Need: Dingy

26 vote(s)
    78.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Ahhh, the serenity

If you ever decide to respond in a reasonable manner instead of being an abusive ****, I may change the setting.

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Just for clarification, for some that have misunderstood or misread
    the vessel I have should be quite capable of 2200 NM @ 8 knots with the tankage built in and an additional 1000 NM could be achievable with the addition of collapsible bladders for the first few days use of the passage.

I did mention this in earlier posts.

Dropping back to 6 knots would increase the range somewhat again.

3. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

yeah, downwind and with the current.

4. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

I would suggest that those on this forum that have 6000+ posts probably spend more time driving the computer on shore than they do actual boats :p

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hell no! Leave it as it is, I donĀ“t need your replies. Not your suggestions either.

For improving your knowledge about modern communication devices you should study some Marine catalogues. Can be older ones...

6. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

I await the response to that. :D

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

look upwards....:cool:

8. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Quite an acceptable and normal practice according to some

So if I have a vessel that is capable of comfortably doing a passage as follows:

Brisbane - Vanuatu........1070nm
    Vanuatu - Samoa..........1218nm
    Samoa - Kiribati............ 1255nm
    Kiribati - Hawaii .............1063nm
    and
    Hawaii - LA...................2142nm

It is deemed by apex 1 definition above, to be a passagemaker
    And I have one.

Makes you wonder why he has sprayed so much **** over this thread and others.

Mental issues, ePenis or both?

9. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

You really think your boat will go uphill against the trades and current like that huh. Now I am questioning you passages. :rolleyes:

10. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Question all you like

Lets just say that nearly every powered passage I have done to date has been in weather like this as we have waited for the correct weather window before jump off
    We had no time constraints, so we could afford to wait.
    Sensible seamanship don't you think?
    [​IMG]

This was day 5 of a delivery, strongest wind for that passage was around 10 knots.

Of course in sail vessels, we had more wind, but thats the idea for sail vessels right?

Also it's worth noting that I never suggested that I have any intention whatsoever of going to the US
    My vessel is a Vanuatu to South east asia loop vessel, but capable of a us trip non the less.

11. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Dagone sabhahcat yain't been in the trades yet. Wind blow one direction 24/7

12. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

yes, we get "The Trades" here in the southern hemisphere:rolleyes:

until they dont
    The above picture was proof of that

The pics below showing light easterly winds in Hawaii
    [​IMG]

and light westerly winds approaching the US
    [​IMG]

Would suggest that there could be favourable times of the year to do that passage if you chose to.

But, I choose the Vanuatu Asia loop for my passagemaker.

13. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

You mean prime hurricane.typhon season. Ooooookay.

14. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Just highlighted a few words for you there Pierre.

The deliveries I have done have been in prime Cyclone season, or at least the end of the season
    That glassout picture was a 25 day plus window we chose after a cyclone had blown out and long range models had nothing else showing.

Considering that the passage for the longest leg of the US trip should only be 10 days or less if you increased speed slightly from 8 to 10knots shortening the trip by two days itcould be worth it if you chose to do it.

I have no real issue with doing it for the shorter 4-5 day legs

I suppose the real point here is you claimed the trades blew 24/7
    I proved this claim to be incorrect.

15. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

Tad
    I think that your PL 39 is more than adequate. Apex never will because he is in the business of designing, building and selling larger boats. He has to be true to his product and I respect him for that. I just don't always agree with him. Just as Apex is entitled to his opinions, I am entitled to mine. Pierre admits to suffering from extreme fatigue at sea. I don't. In fact I sleep better on boats then I do on land. I suffer from fatigue on land and can hardly wait to get back to my boat to get a good night's sleep. So I can understand why Pierre would desire larger boats given his susceptibility to fatigue at sea.
    Let's get back to your PL 39. One complaint was a lack of good sea berths. There are two settees. One in the salon and one in the pilot house. Both could be fitted with lee clothes just like you do on a sailboat. They would then be secure, comfortable berths in rough weather. I don't think that anyone can dispute that a settee berth with lee clothes makes a fine sea berth.
    Another complaint was the lack of an engine room. Apex said it was an absolute necessity. I am curious as to why an engine room is an absolute necessity. True you need good engine access. If you have good engine access why the need for an engine room on a 40' boat? Let's have some facts. I would really like to learn why this is absolutely necessary.
    There was also a comment that the galley was too wide. I am still trying to figure that out. Most of the galley is in the narrow passageway from the pilothouse to the salon. Does a galley need to be narrower that 2' in front of the stove? Again, I would like to know why. Please be specific.

These threads interest me because I am in the process of deciding whether or not to go from sail to power. And I am trying to learn as much as I can about powerboats to help me make that decision. Just telling me something is an absolute is meaningless to me. I want to know why.
    So Apex and Pierre please explain the why to me with examples from actual boats and you will gain vast credibility with me. Show me interior layout drawings that have the qualities that you feel are desirable and tell me specifically why. Show me interior layout drawings that are undesirable and tell me specifically why. Tell me what could be done with the undesirable layouts to make them better. This type of information is readily available for sailboats. But information on powerboats is not easy to find. Or just tell me to apply the same information about desirable features in the interior layout for sailboats to powerboats. It might be just that simple. If you don't want to share this type of information in this manner. Just politely decline and move on. I'll look elsewhere.
    The discussion on boat size has been beaten to death, raised from the dead and beaten to death again several times over. Same thing with the range that you need. I looked back through some of Apex's posts on other threads and saw one where he offered a "57' trawler/passagemaker." His words not mine and he stated that it had a 3500 mile range. I saw another post where he opined that a boat needed at least enough range to cover the distance from California to Hawaii because this was the longest passage that had to be made. So I feel that the minimum necessary range has also been covered. California to Hawaii plus a safety factor. No more need to beat that dead horse anymore.
    So let's move on and look at other topics, i.e., interior layouts, mechanical and electrical systems, etc. Let's keep the focus on "minimal." That's what this thread is supposed to be about. I believe that to be the bare minimum that you would need. A lot of this will reflect a person's personal needs which could be vastly different from yours or mine. If someone says he only needs X and you disagree, don't disparage his ancestry, ask him why he thinks that he only needs X. Ask him to be specific. Or just politely say you disagree and explain with specificity why you think something else is necessary. Offer alternatives. Boats are compromises. This way you have made your point and you can move on and the discussion can move on. If the poster disagrees with you, just move on. You've made your point and if he want's to do otherwise, it's no skin off your nose.
    Not being disrespectful to anyone. Just trying to keep the discussion moving in a positive direction. And hopefully we will all learn something.
    Chuck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.