Mini650 first attempt

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Goonda, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Goonda

Goonda New Member

This is a few days work while teaching myself freeship.
    This is my first design.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Goonda

Goonda New Member

3. tandu

tandu Junior Member

Hello,
    Nice design, what do you think to do with this design?
    Do you think to build the result of your work or it's just a joke?
    I'm plannig to build a minitransat too, my be a post you some picture ...

How do you have done the heeled image of the mini? Do you have used a special software?

Giuseppe

4. Goonda

Goonda New Member

For now it is just a fun project to fill up my time between studying.

When summer comes around and I am out of school I am concidering building a 1/13th scale model (.5 meters). If I really get serious about it, I'll build 3 or 4 models to play around with various design aspects. I have an idea for a very primative tow test rig that I would be able to use in a swimming pool.

Eventually, it would be great to have a full size boat built, but at this point I dont think it is practical to think about that. I have no formal training in yacht design, all I have is a few books, so I think I'll hold off on thinking about construction until I know a little bit more.

I did the heeled picture in freeship, but I had to fudge the numbers a little. The way I did it is to create a mirror of all the control points accross then move the whole thing over far enough that the two models were not connected. I then rotated the whole model to whatever angle I wanted, then played around with various draft settings until i found my desired displacement (be carefull, because the numbers are doubled).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.