Mini wooden race boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Majstersztyk, Jan 28, 2011.

1. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Look forward to seeing what you come up with Majstersztyk -- small cheap DIY experimental boats close enough you can swim to shore are the most fun to mess around with. My best memories of great days on the water are from when I was young playing with 10' to 15' boats.

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

let me know where you get the 5 hp modified for 15 hp ......A few planks you said ....(Note ...in USA a tune up is what in europe is a maintanence service while a tune up in europe means improving output power...in america its called blueprinting )

Attached Files:

3. Majstersztyk

Majstersztyk Junior Member

hello guys
    project will be on slow down for bit, before i had a chance to start it i have crashed my car (i bottomed engine down on the pathole) huh...dont even know where to start... no epoxy putty is gonna help)

The project still remains on frontline at my job's basement, but since i bike 20 miles its hard to do cuts.

In reference to why would i build rather than restore, is that i have bunch of surfboards and light way boat would blend in on the rack even in appt building, its like a personal boat go-cart, put it on handtruck, and roll into elevator down into canal and race to the beach line......go surf....nah, well if it would happened 1ce it would be worth building it.

i like gardening to :) ~ ~ ~.... . ..M

P'n'B: Those 5hp motors (briggs) dont have a significant counterweight, so in units like lawn mover the blade of the mover acts as an addition to the full potential of the motor. It make me believe that thos motors could be extreme well adaptable for marine application. Parts are mad cheap, but so often block gets damaged. Taking governor out of the motor helps, but it makes your finger stick to throttle and you blow it, so i will just port it and polish it for flow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYQDj5mKfSU

Now i am getting closer picture of the "motor" situation. Thanx PAR for explaining that to me. Also the outboard inboard boat turn ability ratio makes sense. I will def thinker on this for while. In reference to noise i dont car so much. I will see if it helps (just how the plan shows) to run piping into the water line and maybe just build sound baffle on top.

Thanx everyone for inspiration
    i will keep updates.
    M

4. Majstersztyk

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

personally I think buying outdated plans with associated construction methods is a waste of time and money when you can do a simple stitch and glue without the troublesome internal bracing of the old style construction...yes I know about 5hp briggs and stratton outboards I got the real thing ....see below

to do 30 mph that 7.5 hp would have to be driving a 19 pitch prop ....bit optomistic I think ..you might just get it on the plane at half that speed .

Attached Files:

6. Majstersztyk

lol that plan its just for a "visual blink" effect, I was looking for something completely different and stumbled upon it.
    i already made 1:1 scale stencil, and i know this boat design is closer to building a kite rather than a real boat:)

seriously 19" propeller?. when i watch youtube of small 5hp boats- they are much smaller than 19", but i don't mind airborne, i mean it def sounds like adrenaline.

...but is there enough power in modified 5hp briggs to handle it. It is going to be higher rpm motor, if i port it to 7hp-8hp it will be at 5K rmp or so the peak performance with 19" holly ****, it the motor will not stumble or chock and i'll attack a wave at 19" and 8hp, i'll wait till i'm 60 before ill start building airplanes lol

7. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

8. Majstersztyk

that 2 stroke would be perfect for thishttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/11-Utility-Racer-Class-B-Mahogany-How-to-PLANS-Jinx-/360275374498?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53e215f1a2

remember i have a core of 2 briggs that i want to use. (well my boss thinks i am rebuilding this briggs for his pressure washer, and i'm doing my best underground)

ps:
    ive been looking for a bit at this forum, holy s@!##t some impressive things are being build right here, i better shut up and add up some pics.
    I did lay the frame, ready to stretch planks long way- see how the geometry worked out
    cheers

9. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

I see your point. If you got the motors... The vintage outboards are awesome if you run across them. Don't listen to people that say they arn't worth the gamble. I am on my third one. First one a buddy anchored next door begged me out of. Next one got stolen. I have another one I am doing now. you would think they sound like weedeaters but not so. The run quiet and smooth. i think I like the sound of them more than anything.

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

19 inch pitch on a 5 hp you would use 8 inch pitch

why not draw the boat up you want in Carene and then print out the panels in freeship and stitch it together

11. Majstersztyk

This programs sound interesting

in the office here, i work a lot with scale plans (interior design)
    so i just used what i had on hand, roll of brown paper, I have 1 top view and side view, plus perspective shows assembly
    ....anyways i know that what i draw and cut, i will redue with solid wood, now the purpose of this scrap wood frame, is just to see how to lines of the boat are coming out. I am almost sure that it would not be true either way, so ill make almost like stencil for frame which can held the pressure of planks as i bend on it. Plus i would like to have an window for changes- almost like shaping planks of surfboard, being able to tweak the line if desired.

this will be fairly amateur project, and it all depends how the frame and skin comes out to give me motivation to proceed with motor, but i would like to learn the principal of shapes in 3-Dimensional sculpturing.

Attached Files:

12. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Hello .....year 2011...calling .... they have computers now .....google Carene and start there then progress to Freeship ......

Attached Files:

13. Andrus

Andrus Junior Member

surely not worthless. keep the pics and new details coming!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.