Mini Ocean Racing Scow

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Doug: it still looks closer to spherical to me than any other bow I have seen. As the boat heels it looks like the wetted surface is reduced and the lines become narrower, more like a canoe, perhaps providing a similar drag reduction benefit to a heeled multihull. I believe a flat-bottomed sharpie hull behaves similarly; but that's only conjecture.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

====================
    I agree with your conclusions-I just can't really see what I'd call "spherical"-
    but no matter: its an incredible design.

Attached Files:

3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

The main disadvantage is going up wind in a chop. Nothing like having a meat cleaver bow to slice through those rollers, instead of slamming into them.

This is the main reason a scow is not considered all that seaworthy.

This boat is really more pram-like in its plan form.

Prams are a compromise between a scow and a sharp bowed boat. They are popular as boat's dinghies as they tend to be shorter for a given amount of displacement and are easier to stow.

In the case of a mini, the pram like hull has more bearing area forward and planes easier. It also has more initial stability (more sail carrying capability).

Even with the same sail area, it can be faster down wind. It can carry its sail in stronger winds, and, since the bow rocker tends to force the bow up, it is less likely to bury its bow and broach.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Makes sense Bob - thanks.

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Paul Whiting and Murray Ross used to say about their Half and One ton designs, that the hull began planing right from the bow; see lines drawing ... and that was back in the late 1970's.

Attached Files:

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

Raison is now 96 miles ahead of second place and 148 ahead of third.

UPDATE 10/29/11: as of this post David is 118 miles ahead of second and 148 miles ahead of third. 255 miles left-speed around 6 knots. 37 hours.

http://tracking.transat650.net/carte/etape-2.html

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Will this boat be the next breakthru?

Picture: built by Isotop, designed by Hugh Welbourn, the first DSS equipped mini. Much narrower boat than a "normal" mini. May have close to the RM of the Scow with the retractable foil deployed---

Attached Files:

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

From the race website tonight: http://www.charentemaritime-bahia.transat650.net/en/news/939/raison-wins-in-bahia.html

A jubilant David Raison sailed past the comitee boat shortly before 8.00 pm tonite to take line honors and win the 2011 Charente Maritime/Bahia Transat 6,50. His sailing time along the 3 120 milles course is 17 days, 6 hours, 13 minutes and 32 seconds, at an average speed of 7,53 knots. He beats Yves le Blévec record time on this specific leg by 23 minutes. His overall time on both legs of the race is 26 days, 3 hours, 9 minutes and 40 seconds, at an average speed of 6,80 knots.

Quotes : "This is my fourth try on this race. I come out a winner, and in full day light. Its been a tough one, for me and for every one else. Yes, I've had my doubts, when I was ahead by a hundred miles and hit a windless spot.I thought everybody was passing me. Some other time I had to step on the brakes real hard when the boat was slamming away, and yet, I was gaining on everybody.
    Yes indeed I have the feeling that my boat is like a kick in a bees nest of naval designers. The question is wether or not we'll see 60 footers based on my design. This I do not know. There 's so much to study.
    All along the race I've tried to follow the advice a former "Minist" once told me : Rigor and discipline. Then you get the job done! But what a joy to be here and to see you all! This has been the toughest race of all.

click on image:

Attached Files:

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Mini Scow lookalike sorta

A design by Uffa Fox I found on the front page of SA. A Mini mini scow sorta.
    The Dyer Dhow I learned to sail in was sorta like that forward except a bit more chine.

click on image: (lower pix Dyer Dhow)

Attached Files:

11. Gina_S22

Gina_S22 New Member

Hi Doug Lord!

My oppinion DSS is illegal in Mini Rules:

J-2-b Maximum beam: 3 metres including mobile keel(s), rudders, daggerboard(s) and mobile mast(s) (including spreaders) regardless their position, boat maintained without heel.

The wing max width is 3 m.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Mini DSS

Hi,Gina, I don't know the dimensions of the Isotop boat but lets just say it is 5'
    (1.52m) wide or so. That leaves 4.85'(1.48m) for the retractable foil.
    And one other thing: Hugh Welbourn is a well respected and competent designer-he would not have designed a boat that used the foil w/o being sure that it would measure in.

13. Gina_S22

Gina_S22 New Member

Thanks

14. peterchech

peterchech Senior Member

So the boat would be narrower on the beam to accomodate the foils? Faster upwind maybe, but wouldn't you be losing planing area in this mostly downwind race?

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Mini DSS

==============
    Peter, the enormous lift provided by the board would reduce the required planing area as well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.