Mini OB Boat conversion to Mini Jet Boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by LilWake, Feb 16, 2012.

1. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

I've been considering a big overhaul to my Addictor 333 10ft boat for some time now. I really want to create something different/unique. My concept is to convert this mini outboard boat into a jetboat using the engine and pump from a 1996 Seadoo XP (787cc 110HP 2-cyl) or possibly a Mercury SportJet 90 (90hp 3-cyl). There is obviously a wealth of knowledge here which is why I am excited to share my first boat concept and hopefully share my progress as I jump into this project.

I want to hear all of your thoughts concerning this project. I am hoping to get feedback and help during the different stages. People who can offer ideas that will better my build and steer me in the right direction. Here are just a few of the ideas I had that I rendered in Photoshop.

The Addictor how it sits now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Concepts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how I plan to do it...using another custom project as my guide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Nick

1 person likes this.
  2. stupidbaker57

stupidbaker57 Junior Member

How fast do you want to go? I have a 1 foot Funjet powered with a 6 HP Suzuki jet drive. Max speed with a light driver is 32 MPH. I would rather keep the outboard and modify it for more power, or Because I'm a little crazy, mount the jet ski motor in and connect it to an inboard set-up either V drive or surface drive.

3. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

I am expecting this boat to go around 50 MPH when it's finished. Weight should be about 750 lbs when finished and about 110HP. Keeping the jetski motor and pump together and using the skis hull configuration will keep things easy and takes the R&D out of the equation. This will be my first boat project so the easier the better. Baby steps :)

BTW I just finished some interior renderings. The first one is a hand sketch to lay out the initial design. The second is an actual photo of the interior that I Photoshopped to get a real idea of what it would look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

What a blast! I've been tempted to do the same thing to my Aqua Lark, but have chosen to convert it to pedal-powered paddlewheel instead. Keep us posted on your progress!

5. stupidbaker57

Jet ski engine combos are a little long. Is there enough room for it and people? My jet boat has the engine sitting right on top of the pump.

6. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

That was the reason I started looking at the 90HP sportjet because they are more of a stacked setup, but I think the XP will work if I execute it like the photos show above in my first post. You can see that the pump will actually be sticking out the back of the boat, and the pump is set back an addition 4-5 inches from the transom the way it is placed.

Here's a better photo of the boat that I posted photos of above. Shows the pump and how it will be placed.

[​IMG]

7. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

A couple of weeks ago I sold the outboard Nissan motor to a guy in Maine, and stripped down the entire boat to get it ready for the conversion.

STAGE 1: Weight Reduction

Motor Off and Radio Out
    [​IMG]

Controls and Wire Harness Out
    [​IMG]

Tilt&Trim Off and Fuel Tanks Removed
    [​IMG]

Interior Removed
    [​IMG]

Grungy Old Carpet Removed
    [​IMG]

Bare A$$
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have to do some Scrubbing!
    [​IMG]

a week ago I put money the money down to have a 1997 Seadoo SPX completely rebuilt by a local race shop. He said it would be two weeks until I get the ski which means it should be well on it's way and I should receive it on March 22nd (a day after my Bday) :)

I also just ordered 15 sq. yards of 1.5oz chopped mat, and 2 gallons of polyester resin online from US Composites.

I didn't want anyone to think I gave up this early :) Stay tuned for more photos of the build!

8. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Looking forward to the next installment!

9. stupidbaker57

That boat looks like a boat that I've seen for sale a couple of months ago. It was called something like Jet Star. It was powered by a jet set-up from the factory. He was selling 2 of them in a package deal. Do you think your boat was a jet boat that got converted to an outboard?

10. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

No all Addictor Boats were powered by 25-50hp outboards. Addictor Boats started by splashing a mold of an Aqualark mini boat. The aqualark company did at one point make a jet powered boat called the jetlark. They are extremely rare.

Im not familiar with the jet star company but u got me curious. I will have to read up on these boats. They sound pretty cool!

11. Cataphract

Cataphract Mechanical Engineer

This is a really cool idea.
    Keep the updates coming!

12. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

Small update. Got this in the mail on Wednesday. Another gallon should have been dropped off the same day. I think the ups guy didn't notice box #2. He came back yesterday though and dropped it off.

[​IMG]

I gave Rob at RSI a call yesterday for an update on the SPX he is building me. It was supposed to be finished yesterday. I didn't get a call back so let's hope I hear today!

Lastly, I just purchased a new vehicle. previously I towed my boat with my 2004 Black Toyota Solara Sport. You can see how it looked before in this pic.

[​IMG]

Well I was in an accident a few weeks ago that totaled it. So it gave me a chance to upgrade it. Since I loved the car and already have wheels, a hitch, and other aftermarket stuff for it I decided to get a similar car but newer with more bells and whistles.

here is the replacement. It is a 2007 Blizzard Pearl Toyota Solara Sport. I chose the color because I will be painting the top half of my boat the same Toyota Blizzard Pearl white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car and boat will be a pretty nice pair after I am finished with them both. :)

I really appreciate all of your interest in this project. It is really what's going to keep me motivated through this build.

13. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

Here's a final rendering to compile all my ideas, and put those ideas in the water to see how it will really look.

[​IMG]

Also, Rob finally updated me on Tuesday. My SPX will be ready to pick up on Friday, though this weekend will be very busy for me so it may be Monday before I actually get it. I will definitely post a lot of photos when I get her.

1 person likes this.
  14. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

The beginning stages of the conversion should begin this weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Short86

Short86 New Member

LilWake, I love the violet variant!
    Quite bright and fresh! Of course in case the colour will remain the same in the flesh.