cooling a 'Jacked' outboard

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sal's Dad, Mar 17, 2006.

1. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

I am planning to build an Atkin-style tunnel stern (seabright) utility boat, similar to Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner, of aluminum.
    ( http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html
    http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/ShoalsRunner.html )
    The current WoodenBoat has an article by Robb White on his interpretation of this form.

Given my inexperience with inboards, I am toying with the idea of mounting an outboard in a closed "well" immediately behind the box keel. This motor will be jacked WAY up.

My question is about cooling the motor. At speed, the entire lower unit, from the anti-ventilation plate down, will be immersed, no problem. However, at idle, the motor will sit with the prop hub just at the waterline. This presents a problem, in getting cooling water to the intake, and impeller.

Any thoughts as to how to address this? Are there any outboards with the water intake down low? Could I tap into the lower unit, and provide a hose to a lower pick-up grate? Will the impeller be able to suck the water up several inches, when dry?

Any other issues that I sould consider with this configuration?

Thanks,
    Sal's Dad

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

3. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

Wow - great resource! so this crazy idea just -might- work...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.