Is this a schooner or a ketch?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by RThompson, Jun 21, 2023.

1. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

S.Y. Aquijo is promoted as the largest ketch in the world:

Inside 86m Aquijo: The largest ketch in the world (boatinternational.com)

The builders (Vitters) also refer to it as a ketch, and it appears Bill Tripp the designer does too.

It looks like a schooner to me... Southern Spars built the rig and state both masts are the same height -90m. (dunno if that means same spar length or same height above water - I presume the latter).

There doesn't seem to be consensus on various internet sources re whether a schooner _must_ have the foremast shorter than the main mast - it seems to be something open to debate?

Most people I asked (including professional mariners and schoonermen) call it a schooner.

So...
    1) Is there a definitive and accepted rule that defines this as a ketch.
    2) is there some advantage in calling it a ketch? maybe class rules, insurance or some other motivator?
    3) Perhaps simply to call it "the largest ... in the world" - because there are schooners longer than 86m

[​IMG]

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

3) most likely...but then again, schooners typically stay the mainmast off the fore, ketches generally don't stay the mizzen from the main. There is no triatric stay here so we won't add that complication as the mizzen has full backstays.

RThompson likes this.
  3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

... And if you called it a schooner, it wouldn't be the biggest one in the world :rolleyes:

DogCavalry and RThompson like this.
  4. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I lived aboard a three masted schooner, as a kid. All three masts were the same size. The center mast sat on the cabin top, so it was higher than the other two, but if we decided to call the forward mast the Main Mast, perhaps it could have been a spankerred ketch.

RThompson likes this.
  5. HJS

HJS Member

My understanding is that it is a ketch because the mizzen has less sail area than the mainsail.
    JS

6. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

That could make sense - sail area combined with mast height. Do you know the mizzen sail is smaller?

7. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

good point re stays, also as suggested in HJS's post - the mizzen sail area is (or maybe) smaller than the mainsail

8. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

huh... so it's rigged like a ketch: Aquijo - Future Fibres

But, both masts are the same size with same sail area: "Her twin carbon fibre masts reach 91m above the waterline, with matched main and mizzen. North 3Di sails of over 1,100 square metres each." A look aboard Aquijo, the world's largest ketch (yachtingworld.com)

I suppose, if I squint a little, I could imagine the designer, builder, and rigger _might_ have some authority in calling it a ketch.

9. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

[​IMG]

-Will

10. tane

tane Senior Member

"equal-masted-schooner" - a well tried appelation.
    (but the thing is so ugly it doesn't matter what we call it)

CarlosK2 likes this.
  11. CarlosK2

CarlosK2 Senior Member

This was a New York Pilot boat "Shooner"

In fact the famous schooner "America" carried this type of rig which is 1 wing built with 3 elements, great for 40-60 degrees.

Attached Files:

Will Gilmore likes this.
  12. CarlosK2

CarlosK2 Senior Member

Shooner America

Attached Files:

Will Gilmore likes this.
  13. CarlosK2

CarlosK2 Senior Member

The word "schooner" was later linked to the rig used by fishermen, rig that passed to the pilots boats of the port of New York thus disappearing from sight the striking rig that built 1 wing with 3 pieces.

And the kecht, to tell you the truth, I don't know what the point is beyond the Yawl.

And the rig in this thread has all the appearance of being the result of excess.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  14. CarlosK2

CarlosK2 Senior Member

New York Pilot Shooner (ca. 1885)

looks like a fishermen's schooner

Attached Files:

15. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I would call this a ketch even though the mizzen is only slightly smaller than the main.

The definition of a ketch is quite exact. It has to meet two conditions. One, it must have two masts. Two, The aft mast must have a smaller sail than the foremast. There is a debateable third condition. That is that the mizzen sail must be large enough to provide a large portion of the total driving power of the rig. This third condition distinglishes it from a yawl.

A schhooner seems a bit harder to pin down. It can be discribed by the sail on the aft mast being of equal or greater size than that on the foremast, or by simply having more than two masts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.