Mini Cigarette

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boat_Builder, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Boat_Builder

Boat_Builder Junior Member

:idea: Hello Every Body! Im looking to build a mini cigarette boat! I've been searching all over the place trying to find some design's or plans! I've made some pencil sketches! Im thinking of a two seater with a radar tower. Some thing that looks sporty and fun! Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :idea:

:cool: Thanx, Brandon

2. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

How small is your idea of a mini cigarette?

There were many more 2-seater <15' mini speedboats before jetskis totally dominated the market.

3. Boat_Builder

I believe it! I was thinking of a 15' design, my main concern is to have the length to resemble a cigarette! I found a link on you tube! That I liked I'll see if i can find it.

Brandon

4. Boat_Builder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgsfM9UQH_A

I like the design! I was thinking of going to a more traditional wood frame method and stretching the nose out! Adding a radar tower! Its quite the catchy video! maybe i'll have to make a similar video using Marlin Mansons Remix of the song lol!

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You do realize these things need to be fairly light, strong and well shaped right? So, forget about the traditional frames and altering designs.

The boat can have a Cigarette look to her, but the proportions will be off, because of the size difference (people don't scale down as well as hulls do).

Of course you'll need to find a design. And before you ask, no, you can't just down size a Cigarette. The physics of mechanical similitude will bite you in the butt.

6. Boat_Builder

Okay, strong and light is a must! My material is going to be wood and fiberglass so what do you suggest the framing method should be? Im using an outboard engine, steering wheel and throttle. Im not too sure how I'll construct the back but Im shying away from the open fishing boat look. Im actually thinking of an enclosed back leaving room to attach the outboard in the centre and a sort of key way for the gas lines and steering action leading to a compartment behind the seats. The concern there being ventilation for the fuel tank. also the weight distribution when theirs only one person in the boat. I wonder if I can design a sliding steering wheel to slide to the center when there is only one person leaving a bench seat to sit on. maybe sliding in two skinny women beside me ; ). Now Im just thinking out loud. Ya but any more thoughts would be appreciated on this design. i hope to get under way soon and I'll have some pictures up Im sure.

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

BB,

Thinking out loud here: Fore and aft seating instead of side by side?

It may be in keeping with the long narrow cigarette boat look you're after.

You could slide the entire steering station and seat fore and aft to accommodate passenger/no passenger AND varying driver weights...

What size outboard are you thinking? AND, have you considered a jet drive?

-Tom

8. Boat_Builder

Fore and Aft seating sounds neat! I have my heart set on the bench seat.. The out board I haven't really thought much about but I was thinking between 20 - 40hp! I haven't considered one but I'm thinking about it now lol.

9. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Brandon,

I Googled "mini cigarette boat" without the quotes and got quite a few hits.

Have you tried this?

-Tom

P.S. Where is GTA?

10. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

11. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

Attached Files:

12. Boat_Builder

Nice now we're talking lol

13. Boat_Builder

Its Toronto Ontario Canada

14. Boat_Builder

Attached Files:

15. Boat_Builder

Maybe I'll make a mini night boat lol. I'll take it down to ford and have them sync my ride! so i can talk to it!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.