Shetland 570 Engine

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by garaldo, Mar 15, 2012.

1. garaldo

garaldo New Member

I've just bought a Mercury 75hp four stroke (2004-2006 ish) for use on my Shetland 570. The boat was rated up to 115hp when built in the early 80's, but I am concerned about the additional weight of the new engine (it replaces a Mercury 80hp 2 stroke). Any idea of the weight of the new engine, and any comments regarding suitability would be appreciated.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Really?

It would take 5 seconds on google to find the weight,I suggest you do the same.

3. garaldo

garaldo New Member

Not exactly constructive feedback - If you re-read my post you'd see I was looking for advice re. the extra weight of newer 4 strokes on an older boat rated for lighter 2 strokes. I have contacted Mercury since the original post and now know the weight to be 181kg.

4. WestVanHan

Well there you go-turns out I can read after all. BTW I found that weight in about 5 seconds via google.

Now you need to find the weight range of an old 115 2 stroke,and post the weight difference.

Or...as I found in 5 seconds..Shetland is still in business.So why not email and ask them if 400 lbs is good?

Then if you want to be "constructive" and contribute-post your findings.

Interesting little boat BTW!

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

who got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

6. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

4-stroke 75 hp weighs 399 lbs
    2-stroke 115 hp weighs 348 lbs

51 lbs over.
    Drop some hints to friends who sit in the stern seats to eat healthy and drop a few pounds before summer ;)

7. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

As the boat was rated for a heavier 115 hp you'll be OK.
    edit; I misread the post stating the weight please ignore..

8. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

The 2-stroke 115 was lighter.

9. WestVanHan

No not at all.

Why help someone who won't make the effort to look simple things up for himself?

And what's best...a bunch of guys who have never heard of the boat and giving opinions,or getting facts straight from the maker?

10. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Oops, misread it.:( Nevermind.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im pretty sure boats are not tested to destruction by putting heavier and heavier engines on and testing at full throttle till it falls off.

Its more of a lean towards the way the designer and the laminator kinda think while have a discussion down the pub less 20% for safety.

I have fitted ridiculous over powerd engines to boats on my own guestimations by looking at it.

12. WestVanHan

Yes frosty but you knew the boat's condition and were an engineer..or if you had needed to ask you'd have mentioned the condition.

We don't know: how old it is,if it's in good shape or been abused for years,if it uses plywood in the transom which is now rotten,been wrecked and repaired,or if he plans to load it up with 13 people and go WOT in very rough waters.

I had to rescue some idiots who did the very same thing to an old boat- cranked the OB WOT and almost ripped the transom off. I towed them in so they wouldn't sink,and then let the boat sink in 20' of water.
    It was a Wednesday in February-the water was 5 degrees C and they'd have been dead in 10 minutes if I hadn't been out. No cell phone,no radio.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.