Mini 12's

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Pacific NW Mini, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Pacific NW Mini

Pacific NW Mini New Member

My name is Sean Kiaer the Owner of Pacific NW Mini 12

I know of to 2 Molds that are for sale and am looking for a buyer for both molds here in the Puget Sound Region of Washington State.

The boat molds that are available for sale are for the Deception Class Mini 12 and the mold is in good condition. the other mold is for the Millimeter class mini 12 and the condition is unknown at this point but I am working on getting details. Along with the Milli mold there is a boat that comes along with it.

Anyone be able to steer me in the right direction as to who might be interested in buying the molds from the previous builders.

Sean

2. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Interesting, we have a lot of 2.4m class boats at my club in the southern UK. One guy has built 3, all strip plank. Norlin 3 (RIP Peter) is the only one allowed by Paralympics, though we have one of the latest Stradivarius designs (UK built) and that is IMHO currently probably equal, certainly very, very close to the Norlin. I've sailed both and they are different, you can feel it as the hull 'runs' through the water. Not taken'em out in choppy stuff though. They always catch me out on the slow turning circle!.

Pretty technical boats, give me lots of little repairs when owners change rig tune controls etc. Fairly soundly built on the whole but a few gel coat horrors sometimes on older craft.

Good luck with trying to find a buyer.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Minis are a very small market item. The value of the molds will be proportionate to marketability of the finished boat, which is close to none.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Messabout has mentioned a point I often raise, the scope of a particular market. Sailboats (all types) represent about 10% of the pleasure boat market. Isolating this further, a one off/specialty class, such as the mini 12's would likely represent just a few percent of this, so essentially a market of (generously) .1% - .2% of the pleasure boat market. A pretty narrow potential buyer focus.

5. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

More minis

Guys, Minis are not my cup of coffee, but I think you are seriously underestimating how many of them are around. I see them at many different clubs, with some of them racing regularly. Some people like to sail a submarine:D
    B

6. PAR

Actually, estimating "how many of the are around" isn't difficult Bruce. Production numbers are fairly reliable, even the one offs and it's still a very small segment of the category. I'll stick with 1/5th of a single percent of the whole pleasure boat market as representative of the type.

7. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

I'll take 0.2 percent of the whole pleasure boat market if its going please. Reckon it would pay for a few beers.

But I concur that the value of a set of moulds is likely to be nominal at best.

8. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

value

I agree that the market is small, and smaller still for minis, but I think someone could be in the mini building business part time, and have a nice "garage" hobby/income. Build one for yourself, keep one for sale, and selling half a dozen a year would be worthwhile. Think small, and just build on demand. I am quite sure there is at least that much of a market. They always were well suited to and sold well for subdivision lakes, and I am seeing a small increase in interest in small sailboats. I wish someone good luck with the molds, and I hope they can help keep the class going.
    B

9. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I think you are being kind and I don't blame you. I like the class and wish them well but it's a very unique buyer. The boat is very small but far from simple -not good for beginners. It brings all the complexities of tuning a large race keel boat rig and the only people who want that are former big keel boat racers. Most of these former racers have egos too big for these boats and the remainder have plenty of used boats to choose from.

The hull production rate tells the story. Then consider buying parts at such a low rate. Selling the molds seems to me like someone trying to sell their old sickly but beloved cat.

10. Pacific NW Mini

On the contrary. These boats are not difficult to sail and I have taught many people how to sail using the Mini 12.
    The reason they fell out of production as far as the Deception Class is concerned is the two clubs restricted there sale to club members only. After considerable discussion I was able to secure distributorship of the deception and convince the clubs to release the exclusives of the Deception Class. The builder want to retire with in a few years so I am looking for someone in the local area that might want to buy the mold and start up production of the boat.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===============
    These are delightful little boats but I'm into boats about the same length with updated technology. Still a small market but so what......

12. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Sorry, maybe I am thinking of some other boat. The one I saw had cunningham, vang, outhaul, backstay mast bending in addition to the sheets and halyards.

13. PAR

To sail them well against others, who are also sailing them well, requires some serious skills, but to putter around a puddle on a lazy afternoon, requires little more then casual attention.

14. Pacific NW Mini

Well on the contrary beginner sailors have beaten some of the well seasoned sailors on many occasions. Case in point. My daughter 10 years old at the time taking sailing lessons was allowed to sail a mini 12 in her first race and she won 3 of 5 races. winds were 5 to 8 with gusts to 10 to 15 mph. the nice thing about these boats is they really put everyone on an even playing field.

15. PAR

Must have been some real talent at that event . . . :rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.