minesweeper design

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by imrankhaled, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

For books, see your university or local library.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

basically you want large diameter low pitch, with a cowling ( sometimes ) for best efficiency
    depends on your speed

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alberg30.org%2Fmaintenance%2FMechanicalPropulsion%2FPropeller%2Fpropcalc.xls&ei=EawBSvPLPOKGmQeO2-WcCA&rct=j&q=propeller+calculator&usg=AFQjCNFB6br-uMSOLFpUfjJA1b-BWz1lHA&sig2=dV4CgSRQjDWJVVY2PzJ8aA

there will be a download you will have to open but this is the most detailed one I found

Ive heard Javaprop is also good

for basic shaft size and materials there is a great desk reference call "the wily engineers desk reference" that is kinda a condensed engineers handbook of formulas and there uses.

best
    B

3. imrankhaled

imrankhaled Junior Member

i have calculated the heel angle caused by gunfire of my ship. plz check this out and if you have any good options plz let me know. here AH is taken the height between the nozzle and the point of action of I ( moment of inertia) so any good option plz mail at imrankhaled@yahoo.com

Attached Files:

• gun.txt
      gun.txt
      File size:
      539 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. imrankhaled

i am expecting answer for gun any one have any advice?

5. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

Don't know if you still care about this thread, found it again while looking for something else.

But anyway, are you sure on your numbers for that gun fire. The weight of your projectile outweighs the largest shells fired from a naval gun by over 1000lbs.

I wouldn't expect a minesweeper to carry much more than an 88mm, but more likely a 20mm, if not even just .50 cal guns.

6. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Lordy I wonder sometimes what these guys are going to do with these things?

7. imrankhaled

actually the weight is taken from bofore 70 series guns.the weight is given 4568 lbs so i used that.
    more over i care about your advice and i will again go through this. thank you

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Even the German Bismark only fired a shell of about 1600 lbs
    if your building something in that size range or say
    three times that size
    you might be stretching it to say its a mine sweeper

9. liki

liki Senior Member

4568lb is likely the weight of the gun itself, atleast L/60 variant is listed with that weight on Wikipedia. An artilleryman hauls a cartridge of 40mm shells easily enough.

The same article lists a ligher 40mm variant at 870g which sounds quite about right based on my field artillery experince.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_40_mm_gun

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I imagine a 4000lb depth charge should take out any subs around...

11. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

From the Riverboats in Viet Nam hitting mines and breaking the crews Ankles and other bones, I'd bet the 4K depth charge would just about destroy the Mine sweeper as well.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

My bad
    I thought you guys were talking about a really big pumpkin gun [​IMG]

13. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I can't believe that a modern minesweaper would really have any offensive weaponry and even it's defensive stuff is going to be limited by the magnetic signature of the gun, between the barrel and the shell. Not to mention that minesweeers don't really want to cary a lot of explosives on board to minimize the risk of secondary explosions in the event that a mine does go off. I wouldn't imagine that you would have more than a Phalanx system or two (http://www.military-heat.com/49/phalanx-closein-defense-system-aircraft-navy/)

Even the assault ships now have gotten rid of the big guns. I think the Navy's largest gun is down to 16" since the larger ones have been replaced with missles and faster fireing auto loading small guns. For these the weight of the projectile is going to be much less than 4k lbs.

14. YuriB

YuriB Junior Member

Only machine gun to destroy floating mines and airplanes.[​IMG]

15. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

JuriB.
    No need for those Machine guns.

We have Torpedos that will go out and wait for a target. The world will probably never see another mine.
    I dont know who might use mines other than Terrorists using home-made floating bombs or suicide bombers in a Rubber boat loaded with explosives.

Snipers would take them out from the Conn.

Those Machine guns wont reach any airplane endangering a ship.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.