glassing the outside of canoe

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by resatch, May 25, 2009.

1. resatch

resatch New Member

I am almost finished with a 16' lapstrake canoe. I used luan plywood and want to cover the entire outside with 6 oz glass/epoxy. Can anyone lead me to pictures, directions, advice on how to deal with the glass at the ends. Do I cut and overlap? Should I cut darts where it wants to bend? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

More importantly, how do you wrap the glass around the strake edges and make it stick? The other questions are easily answered, though I'll defer to the experts who work all the time with glass.
    I suspect you may end up not glassing the outside at all. Glass doesn't stick well to small radii. Especially thicker glasses.

3. resatch

resatch New Member

glassing the stake edges

Alan,
    I treated the stake edges with a flat fillet. I did the same on the inside and it worked very well. I used 3 oz cloth on the inside and it laid down nicely. The biggest challenge on the inside was getting the glass to stay on a vertical surface, but once it was wet it wasn't a problem and I did it in four patches. I want to be able to cover the outside with one piece of class, I just don't have a good solution for the ends---yet.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

5. resatch

resatch New Member

6. apex1

apex1 Guest