Milky outdrive oil Volvo-Penta

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by jflongwell, Oct 26, 2007.

1. jflongwell

jflongwell Junior Member

My DP's outdrive oil is milky, but is still pretty viscous. I believe the problem is the seal for the shifter. Any thoughts as to how much damage was done to the gears?

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I have had this same problem. I think its just a drop or 2 of water that gets in on the filler plug.

In over 2 years I have had no problem because of it though.

K9

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Definitely water leakage. Check all seal points. Unless it ran or sat for a long time with the water in, there's a good chance there is no damage. Drain and refill, watch carefully, and after the next time (now or next summer) you run the boat, take a clear container and drain some oil from the lower unit into it to check for water. No more water means you should be OK.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need to do a pressure and vacuum test. If it fails, put the whole drive in a water tank and see where the air bubbles come out under pressure. Ideally, you should change all the seals.

5. jflongwell

jflongwell Junior Member

Milky engine oil

Where would you input the air? Possibly the top where the dip stick goes in?
    Great idea!
    I am planning to change the shift seal and see what happens.
    Thanks

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

From the top works fine. Use a hand pump or a compressor with a regulator for no more than 10PSI

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.