Rhino hull drawing

Discussion in 'Software' started by cph_steam, Jul 11, 2012.

1. cph_steam

cph_steam New Member

Hi

Im trying to recreate the shape of an old steamtug in rhino.

I use Sweep2 but I cannot get the shape at around the end/propeller right.

Any suggestions how to draw this.

Best..
    Lars

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Might be worth getting this post re-positioned under software, to attract expert help

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

< thread now moved to the design Software forum. >

4. CWTeebs

CWTeebs AnomalyGenerator

Hi CPH,

Could you please attach your Rhino file?

CWTeebs

EDIT:

Upon first inspection I'd try two different sweeps, based on where I think you intended the seams to lay, but I would prefer to just edit your file myself and then if I get it to work, explain what I did.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. cph_steam

cph_steam New Member

Hi CWTeebs

Thanks for your reply.

I have attached the file here.
    I have got a surface by using NetworkSrf, but it still gets too round down where the propeller comes out and it makes the curve go up under the stern.

Attached Files:

6. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Think of the hull as two objects, the hull itself, plus the skeg. From the images it looks like you need a bit more information before you can accurately re-build the hull shape. Do you have waterlines, sections etc.? Even lines and images from a similar vessel can be useful, so that you can get a hull that "looks" right.

Good luck,

Tim B.

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I agree with Tim B, there is too little info about the hull shape to accurately reconstruct it.

Here is a list of questions which need an answer to get a decently-looking model of the hull:
    Hull.gif

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  8. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Then again you could maybe do it all with one surface. By manipulation of the control points by moving and adjusting the weighting of some points to massage it into the shape you want. Here is a file of what I mean, I have also added dynamic section, waterline and buttock planes that can be slid back and forth to show the shape where you want it.

Attached Files:

9. cph_steam

cph_steam New Member

Hi again

Thanks for your help.
    I have been trying to make the hull from the information I have.

I only have the curves of the side of the deck and keel and I measured two bulkheads. Based on these these few lines I wanted to build a hull that was pretty close to the original.

Do you think I need to measure more bulkheads to be able "cheat" my way to something that will look pretty close to the original?

I have attached a file with the bulkheads, and a picture of a tug with a similar hull shape. Also a line drawing that looks to have a pretty similar shape.

I have been told that the tug used to have a draft on 2m, right now its much lighter and more on the heel. I will try to balance the hull with a draft on 1.8m

Thanks again :)
    Cheers -Lars

FYI.
    The tug is built in Germany in 1913, but is now in Copenhagen Denmark.
    I'm in the process of bringing it back to life.
    I rebuilt into the style of ferry from the steam days. I can upload a sketch of my plans for the boat, if anyone interested.

Attached Files:

10. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Cph I think you need a few more sections, maybe one in the middle and around the stern (see pic). I created a surface that shape was close to the two bulkhead shapes but the mid section is not right. You could use the line drawing you have as stating point then adjust that to get closer to what you want.

Attached Files:

11. cph_steam

cph_steam New Member

Hi BHnautika

Did you make the surface with networkSrf? Can I get to see your file?

Thanks

12. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Cph here are three files.
    1 Is the model using the two sections as a guide to the shape at those points.
    2 A model of a hull using the line drawing as a guide.
    3 Another possible way of doing the stern area by adding on from the back of the keel.
    These are only quick models based on some of the available information, so it depends on how accurate you need to be and the type of information you want out, as to how you create the surfaces. Generally for hulls I prefer to manipulate the surface manually rather than get the programme to fill in the blank spaces. I did use surface from lines for the stern add on but I then manipulate that to get better shape.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.