Military recon powerboat concept

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alex Alequin, Dec 19, 2006.

1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Submarines are by nature far less visible."

NOT to us ASW folks , subs make NOISE , not much , but usually enough to track & kill.

Torpedos go WAY! faster than subs, even nukes.

FF

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Subs or Surface

I spent a few years working with the subs back in the early 70's with the intro of Mk48, Subroc, etc. And ASW as well.

I'd place my bets on the sub, given the choice

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I'd place my bets on the sub, given the choice

Even knowing many torpedos have Nuke warheads?

Overpressure kills subs at depth , nukes are good at overpressure.

I would expect tho the next attack on the USA will be with purchased bio weapons from the many excellent well funded Cuban labs.

FF

4. Kobus Potgieter

Kobus Potgieter Naval Architect

I have also been working on a stealth project and have been doing a lot of research in stealth technology. I agree with the comments - this design is not stealth at all. Stealth is the angle of surface placed in such a way that it reflects the radar signal. This is stealth. Your design will work quite well as an offshore racer.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

It seems then that you have at least five choices.

1. Surface piercing hull so that the hull is angled skyward and not downward to be reflected by the water.

2. Make the craft out of something radar transparent in lieu of radar reflective.

3. Coat the craft with a magic-like radar absorbing material.

4. Put it under the water as suggested earlier.

5. Make it go over the water like a SES or hovercraft, and treat the surfaces under the skirt with great care. The skirt maybe out of a material to abosorb radar waves - or not.

6. Kobus Potgieter

Kobus Potgieter Naval Architect

Stealth

point1 . remember that the topside play a major role with rader deflection.
    point3. radar absorbing materials are available. a good sandwish construction also help to a point. This is however very expensive
    point 4. what can i say
    point 5 . whatever is above the WL, radr will pick up and again surface angles are important.

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

For air to surface "looking down" radar I would agree.

However surface to surface radar would pick up the lower hull to water surface interaction, right?

Or would the radar waves be bounced high upward away from the source?

Sample:
    http://www.physorg.com/news64672001.html
    [​IMG]
    Note how much attention has been paid to making the ship less visible to radar – all exterior surfaces are smoothed and angled to present the smallest possible profile – almost looks like a surfaced sub, its primary enemy.

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

cross reference

For those who do not frequent this other forum there have been a few interesting additions recently.

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

That Triton on page 8 (with links) is an odd duck, but I like it.:)

10. dan lys

dan lys New Member

hey alex its dan lys your old clay modeling buddy from ccs, email me at dlys83@hotmail.com, i just heard ur out in minnesota or some **** like that, hit me up asap cause i might be headin down to miami and i figured id catch u for a drink, hit me up guy......oh ya and i heard rob cameron got married lol u kno his wife controls his *** lol, oh and miljan just got into toyota, theyre working his *** off he told me......nice boat by the way lol....k guy hit me up cya

11. rambat

rambat Member at large

Stealty and Bladerunner

Safe Walrus has said it best I think "Remember as has been said above stealth ain't just about low radar signature! People got ears and can use 'em so you need QUIET engines "

Effective clandestine jobs done from small boats have to mostly go under "human radar", seldom is there active radar in regions were we are "not" officially involved. A real stealth insertion craft should have sophisticated mufflers, low profile design to get lost in even slight waves, over the horizon range and speed to limit the time at risk of exposure. A real different scenario from stealth requirements of bigger surface ships.

Biggest issue to encourage all of us to start discussing (smaller?) hull alternatives is not speed or radar stealth but to improve human factors. We have simple platued with our ability to take a seal team at high speed on a Vee hull and have them ready for anything other than triage. Any offshore racer will confirm the bloody urine and the compressed spines, yet racing is a hobby, not regular deployment, its a real problem. We could devise a suspension couch or complete cab separate from the surface hull, like this butchered Mark V. render. Won't help the mechanicals much....

I'll show my bias here again and suggest an Air-Cushion hull is the best next evolution. This thread showcased the Blade runner, I love its look and it was a bold brave venture. I will try to be as bold and suggest a "phase two" be explored by the application of a full bow wrapping bag/finger seal. I showcased this similar "Hybrid" SES hull form a few months back, it could be argued this set-up would soften the ride, maintain a flatter roll, eliminate that scary bow pitch potential. The over all HP could be shared to drive some fans for about the same speed, since the overall drag goes down. Those side sponsons could be modified as planning amas for roll stability and digging resistance. BMcF could add something here I am sure

Attached Files:

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

FYI: An old post of mine from the Hovercraft Club of America forum...............

UPDATE: 10/18/2007
    http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1244&st=75&p=13190&#entry13190
    This is the first information I've seen on underwater sounds made by hovercraft.

The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
    http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/Ge...ps&gifs=yes
    EDIT:
    A thread on acoustics and sound..........
    http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=903&hl=acoustics

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

What was your old user name?

DCCD, David - right?

14. rambat

rambat Member at large

Stealth

Yes, dccd or Rambat I must be registered twice as I have long lurked and seldom commented.

We as designers need to think about mission phase, long range transits have different priiorityies than up close insertion. So if you have an ACV/WheledAmphibian, it could be hull born for economy transform into ACV mode to get over shore. Just the opposite if the transit needs to keep the men fresh and you can go feet dry with wheels etc..

Rotorcraft can do it all except keep quiet, carry any real load long range or do it cheaply while losing itself in the surface clutter Again I think a Mark V sized ACV using the old Bell 1967 SKRM-1 as a starting point could be the answer and am working up just a design. The US Navy SKMR-1 was a 6' gound clearence flying 25 ton Air cushion craft, built in 1967. Its particulars were 45000 lb, plus 2000 lbs payload, 8000 lbs fuel, 4320 hp total, 70 knots. Noise wieght and controlability killed it as it has sidelined hovercraft design ever since. I will apply in my new design 2007 composites to save 60% strucure wieght, offer 2x2000 hp gasoline "silenced" engines (short missions) elec stability and eliminate the axle fans and thier mission killer noise. Stay tuned. And feel free to offer any constructive comments.

Attached Files:

15. GTO

GTO Senior Member

Radar Signature

I think an objects radar signature is much more complex than just plate angles and putting a coat of RAM over a structure.

Having worked "around" some radar analysts and technicians, there are a couple of points worth mentioning that make the entire "stealth" vehicle a difficult beast to design.

1. Most everything has a radar signature.
    2. Radar reflections interact. For example, 2 point sources may either amplify each other (peak-peak), or cancel each other out (peak-valley). Also, this means that the resulting radar reflection path may not be what one would expect from the angle of the reflective part. As the reflected radar waves interact from various sources on the vehicle, you could end up with a beam pointing right at the transmitter. Essentially, a passive phased array (or electronically tuned) beam.

So what does this mean in real life?

If coatings and plate angles for a design are not fully analyzed/tested, as a whole, it is possible that the resulting radar signature could be even worse than a standard "non-stealth" design.

Take a RAM coating for instance. Slap on layer of RAM paint. Okay, test results indicate a reduced signature. Well more is better, right? Paint on another layer. Now, the signature is much worse. What happened? The two layers of RAM had returns that amplified, negating the RAM.

Anyway, if this is basic info everyone here is aware of, sorry to waste the space.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.