migt have a big problem

Discussion in 'Stability' started by gunship, Feb 10, 2010.

1. gunship

gunship Senior Member

This boat im theorycrafting (in maxsurf) was imported to Hydromax, and when i calculated everything, it turns out that my Cog is a little higher than my CoB. does that mean a naturallyunstable boat? i think so, but considering i have almost half the boats weight in the keel, and only the rig being any distance above the waterline, i find it hard to believe the CoG...

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Most 'normal' sailing boats of average proportions, have the C of G around or above the DWL. Obviously the C of B is always below this.

You need to look at how stability works (in particular the movement of the C of B with heeling) in order to understand how having the C of G above the C of B doesn't mean you will have an unstable boat.

3. gunship

gunship Senior Member

i assume its also because as soon as the boat tils, CoB rapidly moves sideways while CoG is stationary (relativley) and thus you still get a rightening arm?

4. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

That's right a positive righting arm has to develop with heal.
    When completely upright (0° of heel) there is zero righting moment.

1 person likes this.
  5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Crag is correct, CoG (KG) is generally above the CoB (KB), what keeps the boat upright is the positive GM which is linked to your idea of the CoB moving. Here is a explination of GM that I did for another thread.

2 people like this.

6. gunship

gunship Senior Member

Now that's covering the subject! thankyou people! :D

also, i realized my thread title is misleading, it should have "theoretical" whithin brackets. maybe a "solved" too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.