Anyone heard of Webb Institute?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Westfield 11, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

I just read that Money Magazine has rated this NA and Marine Engineering school the second best college of any sort in the US, beating Harvard, Yale and the rest. 80 students all get a full scholarship to study there and it has one of the highest graduation rates, but I had never heard of it before. Is it any good? And grads here?

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

3. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

Thank you, that was a useful link.

4. pferra12

pferra12 New Member

I heard about Webb too! I have lived around Webb for a while now, and I can say that the campus is beautiful, the professors are experts in the field and students automatically have an internship while studying here. The professors are dedicated to what they teach and helping the students, there is nothing like it anywhere else. And after graduation, students are hired from companies they interned at. Webb alumni and students are well known in the maritime industry.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

All of the above is true. However, it has a very small student body and is very difficult to get accepted to. However, if you do get accepted, they pay for everything. I have known several Webb grads and they were very good at what they do.

6. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

That's not entirely true.

If you are accepted at Webb, you don't pay tuition, since this is a provision of the founder's will. However, you do pay a fee for room and board, since all students are expected to live on campus. You also pay for your textbooks, but, oddly enough, any writing paper or drawing media is provided free of charge, or it was when I went there shortly after the Ark landed on Crescent Beach.

7. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

BTW, this year, Webb Institute is celebrating 125 years of turning young men and women into naval architects and marine engineers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.