Mig welding stainless tips needed

Discussion in 'Materials' started by crzhors, May 24, 2008.

1. crzhors

crzhors Junior Member

Greetings, I'd like to start doing my own Stainless welding repairs, railings,exhausts,mounts etc, anyone have suggestions on a Affordable wire feed setup to use? thanks!

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

A good start is the Lincoln SP 135T. About $450.00, and a tank would be about $130.00 or you can rent (bad idea if you are an occasional welder).
    Stainless requires a different gas from carbon steel, so if you want to do both, you're into twice the tank budget.
    Stainless welds just like carbon steel with a MIG. The weld is as strong as the base metal.
    Other brands are Hobart, Miller, and a few others. Stay away from cheaper rigs like Century and beware the Home Depot or Lowes Lincoln models--- they are not the same machine as is sold at welding supplies. Your best deal is actually the welding supply houses.
    You can weld up to 1/4" in a single pass with the smaller welders mentioned, and multiple passes do thicker material. Most jobs are in that range.
    I've made a lot of sailboat parts from stainless. Once ground and polished, they look like expensive manufactured parts.

Alan

3. crzhors

crzhors Junior Member

Stainless Welding

Thanks Alan, I'm currently in a very backward area of Panama,and trying to get the machine and gas lined up. I've got lots of projects just waiting to be started. :cool:

4. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

buy a 300$ inverter tig stick welder, do your structural stuff with the stick and your pretty stuff/repairs with the tig, low cost outlay for high return all my stainles is done this way if you have more money by all means go mig
    sean

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.