Trailering Wide and Tall Vessels/w Shipping Info

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ben2go, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

If this is in the wrong place, please move it,or let me know and I will.

I found this and thought I would share it with large vessel builders.I know this maybe common knowledge for some but new bees may not know and build to large to trailer over the roads safely.See this site for some legal load sizes by state.
    http://www.wideloadshipping.com/html/wideload_shipping_com_state_re.html

The things to remember when towing large freight of any kind.
    1) Make sure the tow vehicle,trailer,hitch,and both vehicle tires are rated for the weight.
    2) Make sure you have checked and rechecked, tire air pressure,vehicle/trailer lights,safety chains at the hitch,and load straps.Also check your load to make sure it's secure.
    3) Check the trailer brakes with out the load and recheck/adjust the trailer brakes before leaving.
    4) Make sure you can see down both sides of the trailer and cargo.
    5) Be very aware of your towing height and width.Be sure to double check bridge heights and widths.BE FORE WARNED!!!Bridge heights and widths change due to repaving and bridge pillar re-enforcing.
    6) GET WEIGHED!!!Find a local shipper,trucking company,or truck stop and GET WEIGHED.Can't say it enough.GET WEIGHED.You need a combined vehicle weight.That is the weight of vehicle and trailer.You may need this info if you are pulled over by the police.Bridges have weight limits.Pay attention to weight limit signs.
    7) Go slow and keep to the right lanes.Be aware of lane restrictions.Just because you're in a passenger vehicle,don't think this law doesn't apply.The sign reads something like,"VEHICLES 3 AXLE OR OVER-KEEP RIGHT".Busses and passenger vehicles get busted for this in my area everyday.$250 fine 1st offense,$500 2nd,$1000,loss of license,and possible jail time.Be very aware.
    8) Some curvy and hilly areas have truck speed limits slower than passenger vehicle limits.Here's the catch.This applies to transfer trucks,moving trucks towing a trailer,and passenger vehicles towing with a combined vehicle weight over 16,000 pounds.This weight may vary state to state.
    9) Inspect your vehicle frequently during your trip.Every 100 miles or 2 hours is not to often.

All of this info may vary state to state.Contact your local department of motor vehicles for more info.This info may be available at truck stops,rest areas, and welcome centers info.You can check some state vehicle laws on the states website.

DISCLAIMER:This is in no way a legal reference to state vehicle or highway laws.It is a set of guide lines to help get you thinking about safety,roadway laws,and driving with a large possibly over weight/size load.Please check your state and local laws before undertaking an over size/weight load.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.