Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Jul 2, 2008.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I should not post after drinking. I had a shot and a beer, but that's all it takes as I not had a drink in a couple of months. Drinking is not for me, messes my tummy up.

A vacation; I will have in a couple of weeks. Across the country (to visit my sister), I will be looking for a real job too.

I'm in the worst state economy in the USA, and the ship is still sinking. This is one ship I'm not going down with, but I am feeling a little angry about the whole situation.

I might even end up in China, opening up all options. Life is to short not to.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Fans you told me you had not got nuff money for the ply:))
    Kach, there is friend of mine in Florida on this forum, scientist Eng, find him, maybe he can assist, I cant pass his name on
    I talk by phone to abt 6 from here, its worthwhile

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hay Katch,
    First of all Mid life is not 48. Try 55, and a mid life crises usually involves a 20 year old blond and a new Harley. You don't have a mid life crises, you are only feeling what we all are feeling right now.
    I am also an architect and I have been where you are. I finally took a position with a firm and I have been with them for 10 years now. The Boss has become my friend and it has worked out well, until this year. For the first time we had to lay 1/2 the staff off and every one that stayed had to take a 20% pay cut. I sold my house and this week-end I'm moving to a cheaper rental. But it's all good. We have 10 new projects in the site plan stage and soon they will start generating cash flow. My boat isn't going anywhere, There is always something to do on it that doesn't cost money. Even if it's just to sit in the Marina and watch the sun come up. It's all good!!

4. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

I thought thats why you bought the Porsche....

Someone had to say it!

:p

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I went to the International Builder's Show in Orlando 1-1/2 years ago. People on the floor were saying things in Florida were overbuilt and things had slowed down. It was still way better than Michigan.

I'm serious about looking into going to China, just for a couple of years. World's 5th largest architecture firm is based in Seattle, with offices in Hong Kong, New York and London.............lemon's and lemon aid, right?

The vintage Porsche was not a mid-life crisis purchase, it was a long held dream and a reward for starting my own business and making some money. Money is gone, and so will be the Porsche if I end up relocating.

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Kach,
    Like I said, the pipe is starting to fill up again. We have about 6 GSA projects plus about 10 other commercial projects , multi building, in the 3 to 5 acre range and they are as far north as Tennessee. Most are in the DRC stage, but they are moving. We do a lot of tilt. We should be getting our 20% re-instated by the end of this month. If nothing works out for you send me an email with your resume. 'never know--

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I might do that, hot and humid beats frozen anyway.:p

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I often sit on my Porch (don't you Americans spell funny?) and watch the sun go down, which is a bugger as the porch faces East!!

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Hay Safie, Spraken ze Duytch - - Dumpokff (best comick book german) Ze Aughtkhmobile dumkopfh, Porshe.... :D:D:D:D:D:D (as in the American soap "porsha faces life"????

Ooooops sorry This is not drivel.....

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Brand new theory!:D

There is no such thing as a midlife crises.;)

After reading a paper on how to deal with generation-Y in the work place and reading what makes us baby boomers tick and where do gen-X fit into the picture, i realised the problem is not us its THEM.

They think they dont need us anymore, we are becoming redundant, obsolete. They want us to think that we are having a midlife crises so that they have an excuse to get us out, remember they know EVERYTHING.

For years you sleep in a bedroom decorated with frikken flowers and ****, when you drive in the car you listen to their music, eat their food, walk their walk, talk their talk.

Time to move on i say.

The male species needs a new world order, a very specific time schedule, time to have and bring up gen-Y-Z and beyond, a time to do the fu3king bigger house bigger car ****, a time for listening how little you know from the current university "bright sparks"

AND THEN the time to tell them ALL to fu3koff and go and your own thing:D

They want to call it "midlife crises"

I call it redundancy - its cool dont worry
    all of a sudden your money is your own - fu3king great hey
    drive in a car and listen to your own music - very COOL
    eat what you really enjoy
    have a beer when you feel like it
    GO PLACES OF YOUR OWN INTEREST

I call this HEAVEN

My first stop is Frosty's pub
    when she says her third word its time to move on because she is talking too much:D

SAY WHAT DUDE:idea:

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Trevs

i gather that you may have similar ideas

he heh he:D

12. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Yes, for my son it was age 18. I told him I was responsible for getting him launched, but then he was on his own. Even made the down payment on a house for him, just in time for him to take a job hundreds of miles away. (Still have the damn house, but the mortgage payment is cheap, and it's a perfect SHTF shelter.)

Hell, I have a bosomy young schoolmarm waiting for me on the other side of the country. No time to waste while he tries to figure out what to do next.

And yup, I bought an MG TD a year ago just for the hell of it. Always wanted one. Just sold it, though. See: bosomy young schoolmarm, above.

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Village idiot gets a job at the big house. Mornin gaffer what do you want me to do.
    Gaffer, Eeewww go and paint the front porch with that black paint and brush over there.

Idiot--yesssir gaffer which porch

Gaffer,--Ewewww the porch in front of the house.

Goes away and comes back in 15mintes

Idiot,---Right then,- I done that gaffer, but it was'nt a porche it was a Mercedes.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Manie, you gotta get on with it mate.

Im fed up al ready, Im off to Singapore tomorrow dont know how ,I just bought a ticket for a ferry to Penang and I will sort it out from there. The missus is packing my bags as I type (excuse me oh yes darling take those shorts).

Now where was I?-- When Ive finished a bit of buisness,I will pop over to Johore for a bit of golph although I am not good at it, I will have to borrow a bat, and I might just pop over to the phillappines for a bit of a look ,havent been there for oh 8 years, it a bit like Thailand.

See yer there then!!! mid life chrisis Geeeeez, I havent got time for this BS time to let your hair down Manie.

Here Manie this will cheer you up http://www.deathclock.com/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.