Roadwidths for moving a boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by pops64, Jul 13, 2020.

1. pops64

pops64 New Member

I am currently planing out a build for a Didi 40 but I am hung up on the location for construction.

The place I prefer has once serious and maybe unfixable problem. As you guess from the title it has to deal with the fact that the roads leading to my location are only 18ft wide. And there are 2 90 degree turns before my location and the main street. The first 90 has trees on the inside of the turn about 6 ft back from the edge of the curb. And a street sign on the outside. The curb has a radius of 4 ft or so. The second turn is wider so should be doable if the first one was achieved.

I was wondering if any one has built at a boat with a similar problem and is this narrow of a road an issue for sailboat transports or should I move on to looking for another location. I have asked around to local transportation company but can't seem to get an answer. The one thing I could find from a google search is for CSX truck's state they require 27' width but don't provide any specifics.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The people you should talk to, are the people you would contract to do such a job, you one's that can't give an answer, you wouldn't give the job.

3. pops64

pops64 New Member

That is true but I think the problem I am running into is they're looking for work right now and not work 2+ years from now. I want to see if its possible to move it instead of building it and finding out that it would be so costly to move it I should have just built it somewhere else. I am 80-90% sure that a possible solution would be renting a crane and lifting the boat and trailer around the corner but then you're talking extra costs and such.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You could try talking to house removalists, who routinely deliver wide loads. And carry chainsaws to trim branches that get in the way.

5. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

It should not be a real problem if you hire the right guys. There are trailers that can steer on all wheels.

Now in reality this is a nice light boat so I would load it sideways on a flatbed trailer (without attached ballast of course). I believe that makes it standard road legal, if not it is in the cheap 10ft permit. Hook it to your car and go, if you are afraid have a friend following you with a forklift on a trailer. On the tight bend simply pick up the back of the trailer and swing it around. The boat without ballast should be around 2500lbs or so. This way you will exceed the maximum height of course, but if there are no tunnels or bridges you should be ok.

DogCavalry likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.