Michlet

Discussion in 'Software' started by phillipviana, Apr 14, 2011.

1. phillipviana

phillipviana Naval Architecture and ME

I was using maxsurf to estimate the resistance of a container ship, but I was wanting to compare the results with michlet too. How can I download this program? Thanks

2. phillipviana

phillipviana Naval Architecture and ME

I am trying to estimate the resistance of a container carrier that I designed on FreeShip in Michlet, but I am facing many difficulties.
    Could someone help me with this,
    at least how can i start...
    thank you

3. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

See:
    http://www.cyberiad.net/michlet.htm

For a start, read the manuals and run the examples.

Good luck!
    Leo.

4. MJD12

MJD12 New Member

Leo,

I am trying to calculate the resistance of a monohull sailboat at different leeway angles. I read in the MICHLET users guide that the leeway parameter is reserved for future enhancements and should be left at 0.

I was wondering if there was anyway to incorporate leeway into the current version of MICHLET, or if you had any suggestions of alternative methods to accomplish this.

Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

5. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I made a start on this, but haven't got far. My lifting surface program can estimate the lift and induced drag of thin low aspect ratio wings, but they are very different from boat hulls! Still, if you have nothing else you could try modelling the leeway drag using the centreplane of the boat as a thin wing, and assuming the free surface is flat, i.e. a plane of symmetry. That's a "rough as guts" approach and I'd hope there is something better around.

Have you searched to see if there are any experimental results for sailboats? I seem to recall seeing a paper where somebody used the Delft series or similar.

BTW, I'm not convinced that Michlet is the best way to go for sailboats, unless their length-to-beam ratio is greater than about 7.

Good luck!
    Leo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.