Maxsurf vs Rhino which is easiest for building superstructures?

Discussion in 'Software' started by yades, Sep 14, 2006.

1. yades

yades Senior Member

Ive tried out both and it seems to me that the faster way of building out sailing craft superstructures (transom included) is via the use of Rhino, more then Maxsurf. Although Maxsurf it seems superior in many other aspect......let's say more user friendly to some respect....:rolleyes:
    However is then not easy at all (at least for myself) to transfer the file from rhino to maxsurf and utilizing or completing it, hence performing calculations via the use of supporting programs (e.g. hydromax, span,...etc..).
    Anyone who can post some suggestions or advise as with regard to the correct procedure to use or easiest way to work hulls with maxsurf vs rhino if both softwares are to be used for the purpose of better image rendering at the end?
    I will be glad receving comments or hints from experts:)

If you have some samples files I can look at, I will be grateful....

I'll then send you what I have worked out via the use of Maxsurf and Rhino so to discuss.

Further more.....as regarding interior layouts.....which is supposed to be the easiest software between the aforementioned to be used....and how it is best to proceed on ??

Tks in adv for someone's help

yades:cool:

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Stay with maxsurf for your hull, if possible model a "rough" model of your superstructure if you need it for calculations, Rhino should take care of the rest including superstructure and rendering for example.

Maxsurf and rhino don't play well, so you always will have a problem going form rhino to maxsurf specially with trimmed surfaces, the latest version should take care of that but i think you still will find some problems.

Maybe do your superstructure on maxsurf, just the "skin" no holes no fancy cut-outs, just to make it "usable" for calculations, maxsurf should be able to model transoms, now for rendering and other details rhino is the way to go, as you mentioned Maxsurf is excellent and better than rhino on what it does.

and then render on Blender...

3. yades

yades Senior Member

Tks CGN :rolleyes:

this is just what I did on some project and Yr confirmation on the correct way of using both softwares I share it entirely (including the difficulties to be encounteres when importing .iges files fm maxs to rhino).
    That's exactly the problems I've encountered. :cool:

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I find Rhino much more intuitive and with far greater control. Unless you are auto generating the hull.

That this is often the case with designers has lead Maxsurf to write their latest release to properly interface with Rhono wrt trimmed surfaces.

You will have the best results whith rhino export to earlier versions of MS if you avoid the trim or if you can re-produce the surface from the resulting trimmed surface by various means. It has been a real pain in the past.

If the superstructure is relatively siple re-produce each trimmed surface by "dupborder" then "surface from curve network" then you end up with a virgin surface, occassionally shrink works and this might be worth a try for a compound curved trimmed surface .

Hope this helps

5. yades

yades Senior Member

Tks v m yrs

As I experienced, working surfaces with Rhino is much more versatile. As per yr suggestion I'll hve a try in reproducing trimmed surface in rhino via the function "dupborder" and then "surf fm curve netwk" and see if exporting to Maxsurf v.8.5 works better.

By the way which are to yr opinion min Hardware requirement to be able to work with Rhino 3 or 2. My PC "seats" down a lot when require rendering a design with many surfaces

till next ....:) ...tks

yades :cool:

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thats one for the software writers. I am using a 3GHz Intel system with 512 MB RAM and and some high end graphics card. All seems to be ok but my Computer oreiented son keeps recommending the new AMD systems.

Not really my field.

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

AMD64, better power, so does the heat( bigger fan and heatsink). You need tonnes of stuff to complete the set, program that do 64, platform windowXP64, Dedicated 64 motherboard and... you get my drift... burn hole in my christmas list.

8. yades

yades Senior Member

tks yrs

will investigate further in AMD64 and try get infos on laptops too

YADES:cool:

9. yades

yades Senior Member

tks yrs

that was I'm thinking too, that's why I was looking further on new HP laptops which seem to be pretty powerful

yades :cool:

10. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

For laptop try Dualcore Intel. AMD64 toooo hot for your lap:D . the processor can really fry an egg omlet:eek: .

11. hersegovia

hersegovia New Member

hersegovia

Maxsurf vs. Rhinos.

I still have not used any of them, but since I am an engineering by myself, so my intention is to have a software that develops Cross Curves and Hydrostatics in the simplest way.
    Anyway, it seems to me the price of Maxsurf is quite hight in comparisson to the corresponding for Rhinos, and if both of them do the same, I will prefer Rhinos.
    As a matter of fact, I start using FreeShip, but for graphing the curves it needs a more elaborated dedication.

J.H.

12. formsys

formsys formsys

Many of our Maxsurf users also use Rhino. Our recommended method of using them together so that each is used to its strengths is-
    Model your large, fair, hull surfaces in Maxsurf first.
    You can also add superstructure surfaces as required, particularly when fairness is important.
    Export from Maxsurf to Rhino via 3dm file
    Model additional superstructure surfaces in Rhino
    Take the 3dm file back to Maxsurf/Hydromax if the superstructure is important for large angle stability calculations etc.
    By the way Maxsurf v15 is just about to come out and has a new Rhino plugin which helps maintain the Maxsurf assembly tree while you are inside Rhino.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.