diffrent versions of Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by pavel915, Mar 14, 2007.

1. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

one of my teacher uses maxsurf 11 with hydromax 9.52 to analyze stability, but another teacher of my university told that there will be error in calcutaion in hydromax if all the softwares are not of same versions.
    I want to know from you,;;;;;;;;;; " will there be any error in calculation in hydromax or hullspeed or workshop if the softwares are of diffrent versions such as maxsurf is of 12 or 11 and hydromax and hullspeed is of 9.52"????
    please clear this to me.
    thanks.

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Generally the later versions have improvements that the earlier versions don't have. One issue is that Maxsurf's trimming has been constantly improved over the life of the program, but this can sometimes mean that a trimming definition in one version of one Maxsurf may result in slightly different trimming if read with an earlier version of Hydromax.

As a result I would recommend that you always use the most recent versions and try to use matching version numbers for all applications, particularly if your design involves trimmed surfaces.

3. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

thanks mason for your reply.
    but i want to know, whether the error in calculation will be significant or not?? we all know that hydromax is sooo expencive , buying an new version every year is not possible, so one can not thow away his old hydromax. my teacher wants to use hydromax 9.52 with maxsurf version 11 , if the error is not so significant and hydromax gives a reasonable result , then he wants to use it, but first it should be known that how much will be the amount of error???
    thanks to you again.

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Error may be zero or may be significant depending on whether the trimming is OK, but this can be checked visually.

Besides, you don't need to buy a new copy of Hydromax every year, you just need to pay the maintenance and support fee which is about 10% of the cost of the software.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.