Developable Surfaces in Rhino3D

Discussion in 'Software' started by mishnish, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mishnish

mishnish New Member

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a problem to solve with Rhino. I have recieved the templates of an inflatable boat that my organisation has bought the design rights to develop. We have also several examples of the boat we intend to produce. Unfortunately, having religiously transcribed the templates to Autocad for CNC cutting, a lot of discreprancies started showing up. It seems like we have the templates to a MK3 version of the boat and we have the examples of and are trying to produce a MK5. The issues relate to bow height. Unfortunately there are issues with the company not supplying the right templates as instructed, and the politics of the situation among the big boys are a bit tense.

So, I have been modelling in rhino to try to get from a MK3 version to a MK5. I can develop a wireframe of the boat, loft straight sections and unroll the developable surface, but what would be REALLY useful is if I could do this in reverse, i.e. Take my template profile, make a surface out of it and then roll it to join along 1 edge to make a tube. Im sure with the power of Rhino this should be possible.....

Any thoughts?!?!
    Many thanks
    a stressed out naval architect!

2. aleutka29

aleutka29 Junior Member

Maybe a different software?

I don't know about Rhino, but I feel confident I could do it in MultiSurf.

3. rteng97

rteng97 Junior Member

sorry if I misunderstand you.
    >> Take my template profile
    does it means that the template profile is a flat wire frame model?
    >> make a surface
    if it is flat, then you can certainly make a planar surface.

>> then roll it to join along 1 edge to make a tube
    This step is too heavy. It is not simple at all. roll a surface into a tube, it sounds simple but require many actions.

4. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

how would you go about doing this in Multisurf?

5. aleutka29

aleutka29 Junior Member

u,v mapping in MultiSurf

In MultiSurf, I would take the 2D pattern and project it onto a surface which height was the same as the circumference of the tube and width was the same as the length of the tube. This could be a surface created from those dimensions or a Flattened Surface created from the tube.
    I would then copy the curves from the flat surface to the tubular surface as Copy Snakes. This whole process would be done in minutes using the Insert/Copies functionality. Quite a simple procedure.

6. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

thanks i will give this a try.

7. rteng97

rteng97 Junior Member

"I can develop a wireframe of the boat, ..", can you explain how you can develop a wireframe that is useful for create 3d model? thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.