Michlet basic questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by quequen, Aug 13, 2012.

1. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Hi, I'm just starting with Michlet and have some basic questions, hope someone could help:
    1- Inclined waterlines of modern sailboats can reach the B/L limit of 1/6, but, as underwater body is asymetric, I wonder if it qualify for Michlet analysis.
    2- At some thread Leo notes that appendages must be included into the stations as part of a unique volume. No problem with that, but I wonder if the algorytm take count of them on wave resistance or just on skin-friction resistance (or none of them). As leeway is not contemplated, I assume induced resistance isn't part of the outputs.
    3- Rectangular and Sectorial wave domains outputs are slightly different, I wonder how should this be interpreted as. Example attached. Rectangular domain shows little waves at the internal part of the wedge (immersed transom?) that are not evident on the sectorial domain.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

1. No, asymmetric bodies cannot be handled. If the asymmetry is small, then
    it is valid to use the mean of the two sides.

2. If appendages are included in the volume then skin friction and wave
    resistance are calculated for the entire volume. Induced resistance is not
    calculated.
    3. The speckles inside the "wedge" in the first plot are a graphical artifact. It
    is just the way the points are calculated to create the graphic of the
    rectangular plot. Short wavelength waves are not displayed well if a coarse grid is used.
    Of course, this begs the question as to whether these waves actually
    exist, or whether they are damped out by viscosity.

1 person likes this.
  3. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Thanks Leo!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.