IKEDA computer program for the estimation of roll damping

Discussion in 'Software' started by ironmanhood, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ironmanhood

ironmanhood Junior Member

Hi every body:

I'm an EMSHIP advanced design master student.
    In my thesis, I'm dealing with the estimation of the roll damping factor for modern hulls.
    One of the tools i'm trying to use for that purpose is IKEDA's fortran code for the estimation of roll damping based on Ikeda's empirical formulas.
    I downloaded the code and all the related files from the following link but when i compiled it with G77 it gave me alot of errors and no executable was generated.
    Did any body use this code before?

http://www.marine.osakafu-u.ac.jp/~...ram_of_roll_damping/Roll Damping Program.html

PS: I attached the fortran code, an input file (OSM.RDP) and an excel file that shows how an input and out put file are supposed to be done.
    Thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

It would help if you showed us the list of errors produced by g77.

3. ironmanhood

Errors File

Thank you for your reply Leo Lazauskas,

I attached the error list file given by etime.
    I hope it would be useful.

Attached Files:

4. b1ck0

b1ck0 Senior Member

I would advise you not to use this code for your study. I assume that you've read the papers of Ikeda and Himeno, as well as ITTC recommended practice for estimation of roll damping. From there you can see that this is an iterative method which depends on the roll angle and the sway added mass. The code that you are suggesting is based on the strip theory and I would say that it's not so appropriate for the modern hull forms (bulbous bows, transom sterns, moonpools, turrets, skegs, etc). It will definitely give you some results, but you may not capture the effects from your parametric study.

1 person likes this.
  5. ironmanhood

You're right, this method was originally made for conventionnal hull forms and ships with high bloc coefficients. Therefore, another Simple prediction method was made by Ikeda to include more slender hulls with bilge keels and skegs...
    As a first step of my thesis i just want to make a state of art of the tools that might give good evaluation of the roll damping. I tried to see what PDstrip would give, then i moved to empirical methods like IKEDA's simple and old methods.
    For the moment, i still have a problem with the exectution of this code.

Ps: Attached a link of the IKEDA simple prediction method and the paper that explains the theory behind it.

http://www.marine.osakafu-u.ac.jp/~lab15/roll_damping.html
    http://www.marine.osakafu-u.ac.jp/~lab15/roll_damping/STAB2009.pdf

6. b1ck0

b1ck0 Senior Member

If you have access to Ansys AQWA, it can directly calculate the stochastic roll damping in time domain simulation ...

7. CWTeebs

CWTeebs AnomalyGenerator

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.