whats the correct name for catch/latch mechanism on these plastic belt buckels?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

van door pic.png https://www.amazon.com/Military-Adj...rds=belt buckle plastic&qid=1678403512&sr=8-8

In particular a single mechanism like if you cut one of these in half and had both parts mounted on solid surface where they'd side together to catch and release?

Anyone got a nice "Encyclopedia of Catches, Latches, Hinges. Tracks and related Hardware" mostly pictures? types of latches and catches - Google Search https://www.google.com/search?q=types+of+latches+and+catches&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=AJOqlzWT6zOsOEj-wNvtisTIKmcXUNRf9w:1678403826556&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjyxvu-_c_9AhVkIjQIHZxyAQcQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=855&dpr=1
    I'm trying to brainstorm a trick window/canopy opening where one "light" (as they call windows) will be able to open from flush and slide sorta like a sliding door on a van, but also be able to pivot out, pivoting from an axis of two attached points. For example in the van pic, the pivot axis would be the yellow and the red edge would swing out, and it could be held at any angle of swing, and could swing on the pivot at any point along the slide rail track.

This gizmo would be a canopy on a airplane, small power boat or micro-car/enclosed motor cycle or bicycle and the idea would be it could be a streamlined enclosed canopy or pivot into an open windscreen AND/OR slide forward to be a windscreen in a more forward position for more "face room" while creating a small "dash board"/desk space, as well as lock at a selected angle for more streamlined VS more wind protection. Hopefully it could be operated by means of cranks, cables, belts etc rather than strictly man-handled and also thus be able to have a Power Window option, but just figuring out the latches and tracks etc would be fine for now.

2. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

They are called side realease or parachute buckles.

If I understand you correctly you want something that works like this:

3. Squidly-Diddly

I'm pretty sure there is a more technical mechanical term. I'm surprised they are "parachute" because when used as belt buckles my gut can accidentally release them if I bend over the wrong way with certain pants.

That window isn't what I'm after. I'll post rough sketch maybe tomorrow.

4. Squidly-Diddly

Rought sketch. Somewhat out of order, as numbered.
    Yellow would be the glass, blue would be pivot/axis, and red would be a pair of rails that blue would slide on. I'm thinking blue would be under a lot of stress, and maybe there needs to be an additional member such as a supporting arm somewhere but I can't figure out a slick way to do it. 20230310_101251.jpg

5. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Those are the names the buckles are sold under.

Your sketch is clear, all you are missing is a supporting arm. Blue point a pair of rollers running in the red track fixed under the fuselage. Between the rollers an L shaped connecting arm poking out trough a slot and fixed to the yellow glass (if the slot bothers you, fix a sliding cover that is dragged back and forth by the hinge).

The supporting arm can be of several types, for example a toggle with a fixed pivot on the glass and another pair of rollers on the track.
    Or you can use single piece curved arm with a lock, in wich case the track also needs a slot on the bottom. The lock can be a simple transverse pin at a fixed position going trough the track and arm (you need at least two pins), it can be operated manually or be spring loaded with a pullcord, or you can go as elaborate as having a single lock sliding with the arm, using friction to lock so you have variable angle adjustment (wich is also possible with a series of holes in the arms), or even a second lock so you can stop the glass at whatever position along the track (wich can also be achieved with a string).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.