Jigsaw not cutting straight

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, Oct 29, 2020.

1. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Hi guys, I am running into a weird problem with my Bauer jigsaw. I am using a metal fence to make an accurate cut, but my cuts are off by 2 mm. Am I doing something wrong or is the jigsaw just defective and needs to be replaced? I tried changing the blade and I still have the same problem. You can see in the photo where I start the cut, it's about 20mm from the metal fence, and when I end the cut, it's about 18mm from the metal fence which means it was 2mm off (deviated towards the fence). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Both blades seems to be perfectly square and they don't seem to be bent at all.

I don't have a lot of experience with jigsaws so maybe I am doing something wrong. I try not to put any pressure on the jigsaw as I move it, just slight forward pressure and I try to keep the jigsaw flat against the wood.

Attached Files:

2. mariobrothers88

Actually so sorry for the confusion, (the ruler is backwards), when I started the cut it was 36mm (not 20mm) from the fence, and when I ended the cut it was 34 mm (not 18mm) from the fence.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Your typical jigsaw can go awry on thicker materials. the blade being somewhat flexible. A circular saw might do better, and quicker.

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Jig saws are designed to not cut straight.
    Is the fence sliding?
    Are you applying any side force?
    Is the saw's foot parallel to the blade?
    Is the saw set for argessive cut (the blade osulating forward and backwards as well as up and down)?
    Are you applying forward force?

Try free hand with little forward aggression or force (GO SLOW).

Rumars likes this.
  5. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Just to make sure, clamp the fence at both ends and crank down on the clamps, often users push hard to one side to be sure to follow the fence. Go slow and let the tool do the job, don't push hard. And don't expect a perfect parallel cut, it's not a tablesaw.

6. mariobrothers88

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I clamped down both ends of the fence pretty hard. I put very slight forward pressure and pressure against the fence, otherwise I let the saw do the work and I go very slow. I think because the blade has some wiggle room on the blade roller guide it allows the blade to bend very slightly. I'm just wondering if this is typical of all jig saws or should I try returning it for a different brand like a dewalt or would I just have similar issues? I bought the Bauer jigsaw from harbor freight and it had great reviews.

7. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

It is typical of most jigsaws. They're designed for cutting curves. I have a better time freehand than with a guide. Have a blower keep your vision of the line clear. Go slow with the forward/reverse action turned off. The wider the blade the straighter it cuts.
    As with all skills-practice males perfect.
    Compare these to what you usedhttps://www.ereplacementparts.com/jig-saw-blade-p-90715.html

8. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Looking at your third image. It appears that the blade is two or three degrees off of being parallel to the edge of the foot. The blade has to be parallel to the fence for it to work as a guide.

The vibration of the jigsaw makes it nearly impossible to keep parallel alignment.

A rotary bit tool will work much better with a fence.

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

As has been pointed out, a jigsaw is not designed for straight cutting, simple as that/

10. mariobrothers88

Thank you everyone for the replies I really appreciate it! Would a better brand jigsaw like the dewalt or bosch have a better chance of cutting straight? I found this video on youtube of someone being able to cut a long consistent straight line using a fence with a bosch. Anyone have experience with these brands being able to cut straight?

11. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Don't use a fence with your jig saw, use a skil saw against a fence.
    If you don't have a skil saw, use your jigsaw but without the fence,
    just follow the line by eye. If it still doesn't cut straight I would look at the operator.
    Good luck!

Blueknarr likes this.
  12. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Fences and jigsaw don't work...period end of story!!

It takes the better part of an hour to adjust the shoe and blade so they are exactly parallel to each other. Then it only takes a few minutes of cutting to vibrate them out of wack.

If you want to replace the tool.
    Get a spiral rotary cutter. They work with fences and will cut even tighter curves than a jigsaw.

13. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I have a Bosch jigsaw, it's a great tool, I don't use it to make straight cuts because I don't like being disappointed.

14. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

A couple of observations on the video.

First the finished cut edges are not shown.
    The actual cutting is not shown
    The final movement of the saw is on its toes not flat on the shoe.

IMO it's fake.

15. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Jigsaw: an electric hand tool used to convert a line drawn with a straight edge into a wandering, jagged cut.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.