Metric vs Imperial poll

Discussion in 'Option One' started by Polarity, Apr 13, 2002.

?

Pick a standard...

Poll closed Apr 20, 2002.
  1. Imperial

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Metric with knots and nautical miles

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Completely metric

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Re wood...

Last time I was in the Uk people ordered their 2 x 4 ' s by the meter...

2. Guest

Guest Guest

What'sa 2 x 4 ?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

In the US, 1.5" x 3.5" for framing lumber...

You mean is a 2x4 still a 2x4 or is it a 38x89 (mm) :D

4. Mike H

Mike H Junior Member

You lads have it all wrong, its larger preceding smaller i.e. "4 x 2"
    Noah did it the other way - 2 x 2 and 2 x 4

5. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

I seem to remember that 2 x 4 is not 2 or 4 in any direction. Its one of those Nominal things again....

Any more of this and we'll have to move it to the new wood boat section!

Example of nominal/metric conversion in wood:
    http://www.southernpine.com/metricinfo.htm

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't know about you guys! My dad taught me thirtyfive years ago how to boil the end of a metric hose and make it standard. It only takes about an hour of sweating and cussing. How do Europeans do it? :)

7. yipster

yipster designer

35 years ago the usa was intensely going metric i recall, stil is? and "we" dont boil ends of metric hoses to make them standard! or do we? (actually i do). beeing from the "earth" i can and have used both systems, each has its own logic, still i prefer metric if that someday may become universal????
    :D

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, the USA is going metric (somehow). There are many odd situations arising from it. For example a GM engine has a metric starter with metric bolts. The head bolts have metric heads but standard threads and hardness markings. Fords have brake lines which are metric in one end and standard in the other. Lumber is standard but there is more metric plywood. Also a 3 1/2 inch piston has a clearance of 15 thousands. Wait a minute! How many thousnads in 1/128th? :)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

10. Peter_T

Peter_T Junior Member

Metric is for the world, it started in Europe. A easier way to dimension drawings even without quoting units if expressed in mm numerals. For longer dimensions quote meter with unit. Weight from kg to tonnes is really easy. In fact International Convention Stability have to be performed in metric.

If you buy steel from a metric country, you may for some year back ask for ft x ft x mm. Now, just buy their standard size or you will face higher quotes.

For scientific formulations, if you once use imperial, you may be stuck with it. Since converting means you have to buy new books, change the coefficients etc.

In every day life, we buy or sell in either lbs. or in a lesser number in kg at a higher price rate on the tag. You will see weather report in C and not F. Your weight number suddenly drop to under half when using kg instead of lbs., how nice !!!.

To change we have to be forced to have a sudden change. In the States, we live between the two. The Classification societies quote the rule formulation first in metric, then another metric in Newtons "N", then go to lbf. with gravitation acceleration impact. You can't state force in lb but lbf or Newtons "N".

One of the universal unit is weight in tons or tonnes. They only differ by a slight 1.6%. What a coincidence. You can almost take it for granted as tons. Avoid using short tons, that is the unit for river transportation.

The new generation will be truely full metric. I go for metric.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

A friend once told me when you look at all the most beautiful building's in the world , remember they were built in feet and inche's .

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The romans built in rods and cubits. Metric is much easier to learn and use. Try telling an apprentice that he needs to substract 3' 7 3/16" from 9' 5 1/8. Dividing is even more complicated.

13. Bryan P

Bryan P Guest

Indeed, this poll is revealing

Full metric requires the use of grads (400 to the circle). In this system, the kilometre and km/h make sense, but this system is so rubbish that even in metric countries you will more often than not find degrees used instead. If degrees are used, then the knot and nautical mile must be. And if the nautical mile is used, why not the fathom, too? [the fathom being equal to very nearly 1/1000nm] And therefore, if the fathom, why not just make things easy on yourself by using the rest of English measures?

14. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Dad taught me to read a tape when I was 10 years old. by the way, it's 5' 9 15/16" :D

15. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

Metric vs Imperial

OK, Ok....

Your POLL has convinced me...We've released the new version of the Tunnel Boat Design Software with the new feature allowing for BOTH METRIC and IMPERIAL units; and auto conversion of variable inputs and performance output results (Metric<=>Imperial). Seemed like the best way to satisfy everyone's needs!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.