Metric vs Imperial poll

Discussion in 'Option One' started by Polarity, Apr 13, 2002.

?

Pick a standard...

Poll closed Apr 20, 2002.
  1. Imperial

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Metric with knots and nautical miles

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Completely metric

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. murdomack

murdomack New Member

I agree with you that Metric is easier to work with in many instances, but why does that make it better. In school we were taught science through the Imperial system, then we would be taught the Metric way at the end.

I always thought that learning in Imperial give us a better understanding.

It is not coincidental that the websites of suppliers from the US are far more informative than those from all these countries that take the easy route to everything. Being Imperial trained, they understand what their customers need to know and publish that in detail. Long may they keep it up.

2. gunship

gunship Senior Member

@ informative and easy way: I have no experience on that point, but i have never found any shortcomings in metric websites. allthough, i think it should be mentioned that there are only three countries who oficcially doesent use the metric system.

3. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

"Informative" and "easy" are personal views from someone who doesn't like the metric simply because they donot even understand it. Earlier nebulous "explanation" and a comment like "it's a real man's system" are further proof of ignorance, nothing else.

If the "imperial"system were really good, the world would have adopted it. It didn't. Smart real men looked at both and went with the better one. For those who still think they know better, just look at the pool. The tendency is towards the metric. To say that the lonely 4 imperialists are the only men in this forum, is childlish and frankly plain stupid.

Imperial system is complex and cumbersome. You deal with fractions and it takes a lot of time just to convert fractions into a common one just to be able calculate something. Only the fourth world countries are still using the "imperialist" system (the word intended).

usanian scientists also use metric system. There's a reason for that. For one, they are smarter than the "real men" who like the obsolete and useless system. Educated people know the other many reasons.

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I work with both, I don't see any problem of co-existance.
    each one as its advantage, and I like using the imperial for the wood construction and the metric for steel construction. Beside its easy to go from one to an other. make my brain stay alert!

5. yipster

yipster designer

6. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Yipster, I hope the people reading that link that you put up do not use the scales in the title for converting or there could be another $125M "Metric Error". They have 15mm to the inch.

It's true that having both systems is not clever. A lot of the problem is that standards have adopted metric while lots of their dimensioning is still in inches. Take a look at the table of pipe threads posted which tells us that a 2" pipe thread or a G2 (I think that's its new name) has 11 threads per 25.4mm. This is one of the main reasons that I cling to Imperial, if industry would tool up from afresh in Metric instead of this mish-mash everyone would adopt it.

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Flanges/Pipe_Threads.html

7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

My metric rule has cm, usually too big to use for an approximation, and mm, sometimes too small to see. Because of the metric system's obsession with decimal scales the next highest precision would be 0.1 mm which could not be seen with the naked eye. That's it, just 2 levels of precision, take it or leave it; whether I am working with low accuracy or high precision makes no difference.

My 1 ft imperial rule has 1/8ths, 1/16ths, 1/32ths and 1/64ths. My 6 inch rule also has 1/128ths, which gets hard to read but it's there if I need it and it's 4 times as precise as the mm's on the metric rule. I can have either precision or clarity I need with imperial.

This is a binary progression - that’s 2:1 for you under-educated anti-imperialists - the entirely logical, efficient and natural scheme that your computer uses internally. Computer folk have to be logical, they deal in logic; they also work in octal (1:8) and hexadecimal (1:16).

Decimal systems are appropriate for those who must count with their fingers if a calculator is not handy. People tout decimal systems because it seems to be easier to add and subtract and do other arithmetic on the numbers, but that’s because they can only handle decimals.

I even have a rule calibrated in 1/12ths - handy if I need to divide accurately into 3's for example. You can’t do that using a 1:10 scale. We “imperialists” are comfortable with other scales and it often pays off. Sure I have metric rules and know how to use them, and sometimes I do, but they are just not as useful.

When the rulers of the galaxy finally decide to take humanity under their guidance, they will be shocked to find that some of this supposedly intelligent species are using a decimal scale for the arbitrary reason that they have 10 fingers. Hopefully they will decide that there is hope for us all when they discover some of us using the superior and natural binary scale of the imperial system.

Why do they call it imperial anyway? The SI system was initially imposed on an unwilling world as a by-product of Napoleon's imperialistic ambitions!

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Ancientkayaker,
    Next time you go to an hospital, try your thought!:idea:
    To be honnest I don't know in Canada, but here in the US the medical community use the metric system. Of course doctors doesn't know how to count, and always look at there fingers. Mostly the major one, with a plastic glove:p

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I think it's safe to say that everyone will continue using the units they're comfortable with for as long as they live.

For me, that's metres, kilograms and newtons for everyday things and for most design work. It's inches and fractional inches where stock fasteners, lumber, pipe and fittings are involved. It's electron-volts, barns, coulombs and nanoseconds in the lab.

Now, just to see if we can really confuse anyone who's only fluent in imperial, or only fluent in metric:

What boat am I describing here?
    LOA 0.20202 chains
    LWL 1.2347x10^-7 nanoparsecs
    Beam 225.7 jows
    Displacement, in race trim, without crew 3.55x10^28 amu
    Sail area in racing trim 7.06x10^28 barns
    Speed record for the class 102.9 hands per microfortnight

No Google Converter, guys, you have to figure this out for yourselves to truly feel like you won the challenge!

The answer will be posted... let's say tomorrow or Thursday. Take yer guesses!

10. yipster

yipster designer

sorry to say

cubing is where i prefer metric and fractioning goes complicated, there is more offcourse
    where's that upside down piramid before "3.55x10^28 amu" or can we use mol as well?
    isnt it hard enough as it is? i'm never to old to learn something tho, so go rite ahead

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Four_adva...stem_over_the_american_system_of_measurements

As you can see the link reads advantages of the metric friggin measurements :D

Someone started thinking and the metric system came to be.

On a positive note, some of the US manufacturers are actually beginning to use the metric system which is encouraging. There may be hope for the US after all :D Masalai will be delighted ;)

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Stolen from someone on the net -

1 person likes this.
  13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

For construction I love Imperial.
    1 by 2 by, 4 by and so on, board feet, pipe, and fasteners dimensions. It is so practical.
    Daniel

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

In case you didn't know :rolleyes:

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.