Anyone familiar with US Composites?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Sean B., Jul 23, 2006.

1. Sean B.

Sean B. Junior Member

In particular, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience using their "US Composites" brand of Epoxy resin #635 thin for glasswork.

I've used a couple different brands before, but mostly have stuck to West Systems as it is available locally... but at quite a bit higher cost.

Now that I'm working with my OWN money, I'm trying to save costs a little, yet not be "cheap" to the point that I end up with an unstable piece of junk.

I've never found US composites before, until a couple days ago when someone posted their website in response to someone seeking a source for pour foam

The price seems (almost) too good to be true... is it??

Thanks

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

I've used there 635 medium a few times. The price is very good like you say. The 3:1 ratio can be a pain at first if you're used to 2:1 but that's quickly over come.

It has pretty strong smell. I compare this to the smell of RAKA and System Three epoxy. I've heard it blushes pretty hard. I have not experienced this but I take steps to avoid it if it's there or not.

3. proofsales

proofsales New Member

I have used US Composite's epoxy resins for about 4 years with no problems. On average I use their 635 resin with a 3:1 medium hardner the most. I get good performance from it summer and winter. During colder weather use it does blush more the when the average temp is above 65F or so.. I think this is due to the longer cure time at colder temps allowing more migration of blush to the surface. Warmer weather and faster curing causes less blush.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.