barge

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by dockman, Aug 26, 2009.

1. dockman

dockman New Member

can anyone help me with sizing a barge that will be equiped with a 5K lb knuckle boom crane? I am a new member so I dont' know how to use this yet.:confused: I have told by some not to go any narrower than 12', some say 9'is okay but be cafeful, other barge builders won't even make a suggestion, they just want to build by your specs, etc. Anyway, the knuckle boom is 5K lbs, reach is 28', will pick up 12k lbs at 5', and 2,200lbs at 28', or at least thats close. I'll have to get the spec sheet to be exact. thanks for someone's advice.

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

3. dockman

dockman New Member

Hey thanks for the info, it certainly shed some new light on the subject. I still need some more ideas maybe from marine contractors that have used one and should know how they perform and about the stability.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.