Metal Boatbuilding Start-up Needs Advise

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by AnthonyYacht, Jan 7, 2005.

1. oneuglyboat

oneuglyboat Junior Member

its really easy to get into the mental chemistry of building something wonderful like a boat. its romantic, its stimulating, its intoxicating. but like any romance, stimulation, or intoxication, sooner or later your are back to where your have to face reality. you can end up strung out, exhausted, or broke from any of the above when you finally wake up. i look at it like this;
    "what are your motivations?" make money? create something wonderful? received admiration from your peers? and the biggest fantacy of all, save money? you need to know honestly why you are wanting to do it before you make the plunge. and you honestly need to know what the overall cost will be up front. however, if after reviewing all your options, you still just want to do it for whatever your reasoning is, then by all means go for it. when they stick you in the box and slide you in the ground, at that time the only thing that matters is that you did what you wanted with your life. ugly

2. AnthonyYacht

AnthonyYacht Mechanical Engineer, MSME

Thank you very much for advise. Thank YOU.

3. AnthonyYacht

Arrowmarine,
    Thank You veru much for advise. I redesign the boat now to make it ready for mass production. Your advise on dealer ready design is the best I've got so far. Manufacturability(!), and suppliers is priotity number one for me now.
    Thank You!

4. AlaskaFisherman

AlaskaFisherman Junior Member

Why 3/4 material?

I'm not a builder but have been gearing up over the years to enlarge my 32' boat. This is my first major project and I am loving every minute of it. I did hire a certified welder to do the wet hull work. I'll do a lot of welding but never have mastered the art. The pro is so much faster and better than I that manhours spent doing the work is paying for his time. He is a fitter also so between the two of us we are having a lot of fun.
    Most commerical boats around here use 5052, 1/4 inch on bottom and 3/16 on sides.
    My old boat has been in use since 1965 with no problems. Lots others with same history.
    Our boats are only in the water for 6 weeks a year. Still 40 years of 6 weeks is 4 1/2 years of being in saltwater minimum.
    *300 amp mig is required for the heavy welding - Miller is a great machine (push/pull type)
    *Plasma cutter sure helps - get the most amps you can find.
    *I built a four wheeled 20ft long cart for moving 20 ft sheets and need to build a lifting A frame on wheels. I have a lifting clamp $300.00 - rated at 1ton.
    * Hyd. rams for forming curves and com-along is what we hope to use.
    You can see my project on the web site at "Here we go: 32' x 10.5 to 16' x 42.
    It's all it what it takes to have fun with life. Since a child, I have wanted to build an aluminum boat. My project of enlarging will fill the bill for me.

5. AnthonyYacht

Thank You for support.

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.