3rd log on pontoon problems-Please Help

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Bowtie41, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Bowtie41

Bowtie41 New Member

I posted this on another forum some time ago with no responses so I'll try here.Summers almost gone,and I'd like to get started.

Hello all,I spent the better part of the last 4 hrs reading posts pertaining to my problem with no luck so I joined:) .I have a '88 Lowe 24' pontoon I bought last year.It had an 88hp engine,and a man in Tenn pushed it to about 145 hp now,used a v6 lower with custom prop and it's fabulous.Well,a neighbor also purchased a 24' this week to rebuild.The conversation turned to tritoons,and he happened to know a mutual friend was selling his 16' cheap,so we bought it for both of us to have a log.I'm looking for info as to the parameters needed around the transom.Is 16' acceptable,or will it need to be altered?Dimensions from transom to back of tube would be great.Both of our boats have a "D" shaped tubes,but his are about 2" shorter than mine,as well as the log I want to use.Thought of rails to level it to outer tubes,but is it needed?Just don't want to cause any cavitation problems.I'm a fairly good fabricator,I just need specs before I start.Thanks in advance for any input.Hey We'll be getting rid of a great 8x12 deck,railing,wood looks great,Thanks Again !!

Kirk

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

manitou uses a larger diameter center pontoon on their planing pontoons. Are you just looking for more bouyancy or are you trying to go faster?

http://www.manitouboats.com/main/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=5&categories=Manitou'#21

3. Bowtie41

Bowtie41 New Member

Stonebreaker,
    I'm just wanting more stability in rougher waters,but don'twant to tear up anything.Thank You for your reply

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.