metal boat designers

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by goboatingnow, Nov 3, 2008.

1. goboatingnow

goboatingnow Junior Member

I'm looking for a centre cockpit hard dodger design around 50' . I really like the Hood Little harbour sailboat designs and was wondering if anyone knows of good designers doing something similar in their designs

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i sent pm

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Also known as the BlackWatch 37 ?
    http://www.sailboatdata.com/VIEWRECORD.ASP?CLASS_ID=1825

These days we would reduce the overhangs not pinch the stern as much and on a 50 footer moving the rudder and balancing it can make life easier. Even with a heavier 3/4 keel type there are considerable improvements realised over these older 1950-60 designs.

You will find Sparkman & Stephens, Camper & Nicholson, Van de Staadt all have earlier steel designs that are similar in style in the 50 foot range. If you want to go to a chined design there are many more designers with similar styles.

Cheers

4. goboatingnow

goboatingnow Junior Member

I was mainly taken by the deck layout, ie a centre cockpit but with a walkway out to the deck , I hate winches in a centre cockpit being positioned on the top of the seat coming , requiring you to perch between the deck and the seat base above the winch. Being 6' 5" I have always felt my centre of gravity was way to high and too outboard and I have a nasty serious of tumbles to back up by perspective. I really want to be able to winch standing up ( I have more then enough strength then to need to be fully over the winch) and be able to access the deck without climbing up and over the seat coamings

as to the underbody I'm and extended fin keel, and skeg hung semi balanced rudder type of guy

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Have you taken a look at my Globetrotter 45/Eagle designs. These ideas can be expanded to 50' with a center cockpit, in metal, and the rig of your choice. You'll see I tend to favor free-standing rigs, but I can accommodate an owner's wishes.

http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/EagleNews.htm

You can reach me through my website if you are interested in more possibilities for a 50'er.

Eric

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.