Metacentric Height

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Paul Jones, May 1, 2009.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thanks for the report John.
    I'm not sure if this one did go to court for the incorrect weight or if it was another case altogether. There was another case when the transformer was dropped to stop the crane barge capsizing when unloading in Africa, It's in a back issue somewhere in my office and I might be confusing the two.

The submergable heavy lift vessels have had a few spectacular catastrophes too.

Cheers

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

So it seems to have been due to incorrect ballasting and not adequately following of the protocols.
    On top of what is said at the report, I'm wondering about the comms between deck and engine room, as it seems they walked from one to the other to open/close valves (1459 hours).
    I'm also wandering about what an 'stabilizer pontoon' on the port side was (1422 hours).

Cheers. :confused:

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

A stablizer pontoon is a self-deployed ballast float carried by some heavy lift ships used to move weight/bouyancy outboard and to increase the water-plane area. It seems that in this case it is an active system, not the passive ones I'm familiar with. See the one slide (page 5) in this Jumbo Lift Ship presentation: http://www.hydrographicsociety.nl/d...society/downloads/JUMBO OffshoreNoordhoek.pdf

I know that some stabilizer "floats" or "tanks" fitted to some vessels are basicaly large free flooding tanks with small openings fitted on the extreme beam. When pressed down by roll, they provide short term bouyancy and when pulled up short term ballast.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. Guillermo

5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I'll have a good read of that, thanks.
    What does 'necro' mean..??

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

From the Greek nekros, a dead body or person, used in Internet forums to describe a thread that posting to had died out. Some forums won't let you revive older threads.

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

j.am
    I'm aware of the definition, from the Greek origin. Just not the American colloquialism...I'm not american and as such don't fully understand all those colloquial terms that are used and abused in American speech :)

9. Guillermo

I think it is quite useful these forums allowing to "resucitate" necro threads, as this allows to gather information (papers, links, opinions etc) about the thread's matter during time.

Cheers.

10. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The fact we are posting...just shows, it hasn't died......it is dormant! :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.