Metacentric height is always 24/12, or so.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by apex1, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I think every young man can have a world of good done if they get the fear of God put in them early in life. Mine came when I realized other people were shooting back at me. Embracing mortality is a good thing for kids. For what it's worth, there doesn't actually have to be any gators present in the lake, so long as he's in the water and thinks there's man eating gators there.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well, that was the one I remembered. Must I understand we have a design? Or must we beg further...........:cool:

Would you mind Paul to post a little picture, to give us a impression?

As a little teaser: Congratulations! You are the first member above the 1000 points.guess why..:D

Regards
    Richard

3. yipster

yipster designer

wish i could pass in shorts but cant help much eighter
    sure building be nice, but really, give him a 20 buck boat with running ob (planty on e-bay)
    see what he makes of it, when he learns to chain his ob or just get his new boat home
    i know, kids today want chroom and easy fast bling and my filosofy is out

4. PAR

This is the one I posted, though I think he wants something different now. At the time we'd talked him into an outboard and a little length to make life a little easier on him. This had square sections, a 48" bottom panel and full standing headroom at an enclosed helm.

Now I think he wants the inboard again, with enough hull rocker to protect the prop (I don't think he understands the idea of a skeg), still the 48" bottom panel and square sections for ease of building. Unfortunately, he's selected one of the most unsuitable designs he could have, though I think he now understands this and needs to rethink his requirements a little.

We do need to some how get a email to his parents I would think.

Attached Files:

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thank you Paul.
    Yes he did not like the OB idea, I remember. But I know him good enough to be sure, when he gets this sort of "package" I have in mind, he will surely not argue! So, lets forget about another propulsion if this becomes our design to go for!

I´ll try to contact the parents!

Regards
    Richard

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That design brings up some bittersweet memories; it looks remarkably like the mini-tug one of my younger brothers always wanted to build. Unfortunately his drinking took him out in his mid-fifties, before he got it done.

7. yipster

yipster designer

thats bling in an old fashioned way PAR, i even like it, here another approach

Attached Files:

8. PAR

I find that I get much less information about a hull with modeled surfaces that have too many lines. My eyes can't follow what's really going on. For example, your FreeShip model, I can't really tell what's going on with the deadrise, it looks constant, but I can't tell. With a plan, profile and section drawing, I can tell exactly and even see the angles and curves in relation to each other. I guess I'm old fashioned too.

9. PAR

Richard has a building method been decided? Taped seam would keep the costs down, but he'd have to fool with goo. Plywood on frame would cut down the goo factor, but he'd have to make frames, floors, stringers, etc. making the materials and building effort go up. I'll assume taped seam for now.

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Interesting concept Yipster: it looks like a PDRacer trying to escape a shark attack!

Par, from the waterlines in the bottom view the deadrise looks constant.

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

I would vote for the taped seam of course. But it depends on your plans.
    And I have no right to decide here!

Richard

12. PAR

I assumed as much Terry, but when looking at a drawing, one shouldn't have to assume.

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Agreed: I prefer to use the default settings of Free!Ship for the non-perspective views but they are not so pretty and the application let's the user change them freely. Which design application are you using? It makes nice drawings. I don't have anything that does clean drawings in a form I can print or put on the Net; I use Presentations but it's not good for accuracy.

14. yipster

yipster designer

sorry for the rough, just a 3m doodle thinking scow as alternative
    but something like PDracer looks good, maybe with the skegs sail ob and tent

did not save that doodle but here new sketch delftship file
    thanks to Martijn scows dont have to be square anymore
    with leakpoints and lines unchecked, its just an idea
    btw, only now read up on the other thread and his propulsion ideas
    this pulsejet may even work bringing the exhoust above the waterline

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009

15. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

The only way to make this work is to find someone who can go knock on his door, and offer some face to face help... so, of all of us, is there no one who knows someone who lives near this kid, or knows of a social program based on boat building that is near this kid... sending him money, plans, or what will never work...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.