meshing hydraulic steering with cable steering - how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest1578132542, Jul 12, 2010.

1. hi all.

this is for my cat. want cable steering on one rudder for smooth feedback, want hydraulic or electric powered on the other rudder.

i don't want to use a hydraulic steering pump attached to the steering wheel.

the goal is to have pure cable only on the steering wheel.

i'd like
    Garmin GHP/C 10 Autopilot Core Pack as the auto pilot.
    but then, how do i get the hydraulic autopilot rudder to tie into the cable rudder?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so i'm at a loss as to how to tie the systems together - the goal of course being to preserve the feeling of a frictionless unencumbered rudder system.

there must be some way of using something like a seastar auto pilot pump with some type of NMEA electric remote controls.

any ideas?

so;
    is the dream impossible? or can anybody think of a way of getting this done?

onya,
    mal

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Attach a lever to both rudder shafts and install hinged hydraulic cylinders.
    Connect the cylinders with hoses and copper tubes so both rudders operate in the same direction, your cable steering will move both rudders now.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It can be done if you can live with crappy steering and an ongoing tinkering job. The system will never work right, but will keep you from getting bored. It can be one way to get out of the house and stay away from the wife.

4. a hydraulic power pack merely connected to both rudders

you know CDK, experimental engineer, that just may work.

a hydraulic power pack merely connected to both rudders, and not the steering wheel.

this just may be the easiest way of doing it.

has anybody out there got experience with hydraulic steering power assist units/autopilot power packs etc etc??

anybody?

m

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

On our POWER boat we have a full time Hyd pymp that runs the steerring full time and the windlass when needed.

The steering wheel really simply ports fluid and the steering is fine and quick , as its made for lobster boats.

The feel is DEAD , there is no rudder feedback at all.

Fine for a sailboat AP, but might not allow the fastest sailing , rudder position indicator would be needed.

The AP uses Vickers solenoids (about 2A of 12v DC) to steer the boat 95% of the time.

It is run by a std 12v Robertson autopilot that normally would be switching a hyd pump to move the cylinder (25-40A).

I expect 2A for control is easier on the setup than the 25. .

What is your question?

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.