Merry Christmas 2013!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Doug Lord, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

------------------------
    Thanks Angel but this boat was before our time in Pensacola. It is the 83' Ungava that my Dad redesigned and had rebuilt in New Orleans(Higgins yard) in the early 50's. My time aboard was at the age of 2-4 and Dad took the boat from New Orleans to Yarmouth Nova Scotia and then down to Brazil. She was sold to the Brazilian government and suffered a mysterious fire at sea, in their care, and was lost.
    We were living on a much smaller boat at Dinner Key in Miami and I still remember Mom walking down the dock crying with the news of the boats demise.
    The Ungava brought my family and Mom and Dad's friends a lot of happiness.
    One of the first models I ever built was of this boat...
    ------------
    The picture below is of the 47' Ungava(Grebe design with my Dads flying bridge and aft cockpit) that the whole family re-built over 6-8 years in Pensacola. I learned a lot about working on boats working with the rest of the family . And when she was done she was good looking and Dad would let me take her out on my own with friends-quite a good payoff for all that work. We lived on the boat most of that time and finaly moved to a house with a dock on Pensacola Beach and then to Mary Esther Florida(near Ft. Walton). Dad sold her after I left for college and a few years ago I tried to find her and was told that she sunk in Choctaw Bay.....

Merry Christmas!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

You don't have to go far if you are in the Philippines. Right on the street, there are endless carolers of different varieties going house to house trying to shake you off with a buck or two (or how much you want to part with your wallet). Go to the malls and there are animated displays singing Christmas carols. Almost every big cities have giant Christmas tree and live carollers and endless Christmas song bellowing out from any establishments. Not to be outdone, there are rows and rows of houses competing to outdo each others by the oppulence of christmas lights and christmas theme. Not to count the daily early morning mass of the Catholic church singing carols as part of the ceremony. Like they say, "Its more fun in the Philipines".

And some start as early as October.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

[​IMG]

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

have a safe and very Merry Christmas, to everyone on the BDN!

we have over 7 boats on our property, all smaller dingys, or kayaks, two have become "yard art" (planters), and several are works in progress. Some day I may finish them!

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Well the rain has arrived on the leading edge of the low rolling though, though it's still 72 degrees outside. Once this front marches over, it'll drop quite a bit.

I have 6 small craft ranging from 15' to 28' and two larger, one 37' and another 65'. They seem to breed unexpectedly.

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Merry Christmas fellas, all the best to all.

1 person likes this.
  8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Merry Christmas! Santa sends regards too, thou he is a bit busy with the reindeers..

9. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

11. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Thanks for the photo sean. You have a great sense of humor! I like the flag.

PAR, I'm told if you disconnect the shafts on that 65', you'll have less problems with the spontaneous breeding....."snip-snip";):p.

So....it's 72 now and it's gonna "drop quite a bit" after the front passes????? You're killing me:eek:! It's gonna be 5 here tonight.:(

The good thing is that when it gets that cold I break out the 151 and mix it with the eggnog.

Have fun and Merry Christmas!

MIA

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, I know about the "snipped" shaft thing, but just can't bring myself to do it (have you seen the size of that thing), though I did pull the wheel to make it less desirable to the willing partners available (no tickler).

The front has moved in and we hit 71, but now it's dropping into the high 60's, which sucks. Hell, I need a sweat shirt just to get mail out of the box. I hate winter . . .

13. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

You're just killin' me PAR......they lowered the overnight low to 4.

My 15 year old son is busy killing people (virtually) as he plays Battlefield 4 in the living room. Something about that whole thing feels creepy on Christmas Eve. I dunno..

My mother in law is on the way.

I'll wait until she gets here and then go walk the dog......nothing like picking up a nice warm bag full of dog poop on a cold Christmas Eve.

More rum!

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Merry Christmas from da bys and girls up dis way,----- Jarge & Nancy
    P.S. Eat your heart out PAR we don`t have to turn on the air conditioner here :D

Keep her cool All and `May the force be with you in 2014`--- Geo.

Attached Files:

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Merry Christmas from 'down under' to all. Cheers and beers !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.