28" bare hull to finish

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by filiperosa, Jun 9, 2007.

1. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hello.
    I got a Pacesetter 28" fiberglass bare hull to finish.
    The thickness is 0.5" and 1" with foam inside in some specific places like the cockpit.
    I would like some help about what I should finish in the structure. Should I do some kind of superstructure to it?
    I have around 25kg of epoxy so would not mind to spend it reforcing the hull.
    If I should do some king of superstructure can some one advice me about the type?
    The hull is located in Hertfordshire, UK.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I would not suggest adding any "superstructure". If you need some protection in the cockpit a dodger/awning would work without adversly affecting your stability.

If you use the boat as the designer intended it should not need any hull reinforcement either. Put your effort into a nice interiour, mast, rigging, deck gear, engine, ect..... There is plenty to do without adding anything unnessary.

Should be able to end up with a nice boat. Many, many hours will be required to finish it out though. Don't go in thinking it will happen quickly and you'll avoid being discouraged.

Good fortune with your project, and welcome to the forum.

Tim

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I would expect you'll need to install a mast step (at least) possibly a structural grid system to transmit the rigging loads to the hull. I would be wise to contact the designer to cover the bases in regard to the structural elements that need to be incorporated. Anything less then this would be guess work and not particularly recommended. Other items that you'll likely want are furniture cleats, hardware backing and supports, etc. The builder may be able to help and taking a look at their partly finished hulls may be a way to see what you've got missing in the hull shell.

Currently, your boat is less then 20% complete, which should provide you an idea of what's ahead in the project.

4. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hello.
    Thank you very much for the reply. I had contact one person that have the same boat and I will try to visit him to take some measurements.
    What you mean with a mast step? Only the step were it fits or the column that goes trough the deck to the keel?
    Another question, it is important that the interior be the same as the original or I can make my own interior arrangement?
    Thank you!

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The mast step is a pocket for the mast bottom on the floor inside. It would be helpful if you had a way to translate boat parts from English to Portugese,
    or every special boat word will confuse you, and every boat word you use will confuse others.
    The interior can be how you like it, but often structures inside used for furniture (for sleeping or dividing spaces or cooking) also are placed in a way to strengthen the hull. Maybe these are already in place. Leave what is there and only add to them. Do not cut any parts out because they probably are structural. Look at the "sister ship" that is like your boat. A small boat should be kept simple, with few changes. Even without knowing your boat, most here could guess how the interior is laid out because all small boats with cabins are similar.

Do you have a camera? Can you take some more pictures inside? Try to get every view, every direction.

Alan

6. filiperosa

filiperosa Junior Member

Hello.
    Thank you very much.
    I took this two pictures from the interior. I try to take more on next wednesday.
    Thank you!

Attached Files: