1976 Crestliner Houseboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mounties, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Mounties

Mounties Junior Member

I'm new to the forum guys, so not quite sure of the etiquette.........:)

I recently purchased a 1976 Crestliner houseboat from Claytor Lake in Va and had it trucked to my hometown in WV. It rests on 29" x 35' pontoons. The boat was very rotten (I was aware when I purchased) so it has been torn down to the galvanized stringers and rebuilt from there up. From the research I've done, it seems that the potoons will float roughly 9,300 pounds each for a total of 18,725. My question is, how much of this bouyancy can be safely used?

Thanks for the help.

2. Mounties

Mounties Junior Member

Here is a picture, maybe this will help.........

Hope I get this right!!!

Attached Files:

3. bluethunder12

bluethunder12 Junior Member

i am lost for words hell of a house Boat i really do like it though its orginal good luck

4. Mounties

Mounties Junior Member

Ok, I was able to get some D.O.T. officers over here the Friday morning. The boat and trailer weighed a combined 13,325. I am estimating the trailer at 2,500 which leaves the boat at just under 11,000 lbs. The boat is near completion and I am estimating the final weight to be 13,000 lbs (with passengers and gear).

In addition, I have ordered another 5,600 lbs of floatation that will be sistered along the existing pontoons (2,300 lbs on each side positioned towards the rear) that will be placed in the cantilevered area on the outside.

I am placing these towards the rear due to the weight at the back (Onan generator, motor, sewage tank, hot water tank, and propane storage).

Thoughts????

5. george allard

george allard Junior Member

6. Mounties

Mounties Junior Member

George, thank you so much. Their website is helpful, and they are even more helpful over the phone. Thanks again!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.