outboard problems need help ASAP

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Cory247, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Cory247

Cory247 Junior Member

Hey guys well after getting my ignition sorted out on ny mercury 1150 6 cyl outboard I decided to take it down to the boat ramp and take it for a quick strap and at first everything was great but as soon as I got out of tge boat harbor and into the bay my outboard started losing power every now and then, and then it would completely cut out on me it's almost like there isn't enough fuel getting to the motor, when I bought the boat the guy had put 3 inline fuel filters between the fuel tank and the motor is this my problem? Is it struggling to suck the fuel through 3 filters? Or is it something bigger than that? Bear in mind that when I bought it straight away I done a fuel pump rebuild and a carby rebuild. Any help would be appreciated cheers

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

If he had three inline filters on it, it was for a reason: dirty fuel, dirty gas tank, or by now both.

When I bought my Jeep, it started clogging filters after a while, when the crud in the tank started breaking loose. I eventually solved the problem by installing a settling bowl before the carburetor, but that might not be practical for an outboard.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Does it completely cut out but then start up again after awhile? Did you drain some carbs and see if there was water in there? Do you have a built in fuel tank?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

80% of the issues you can expect will be fuel delivery.

5. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

It might be a good idea to drain and clean the fuel tank thoroughly, and delivery hoses too. Good time to replace the in-line fuel filter (you don't need 3). Also the fuel filter in the engine itself. If you're sure your fuel pump is still ok, then no need to replace it, although it's an easy fix.

6. Cory247

Cory247 Junior Member

Hey Jimboat yeah I have recently flushed out the fuel tank with.a gerni first and then pumped 60L of petrol through it and made sure there was no.more water left in the tank I.also replaced the fuel.line on the weekend and rebuilt the fuel pump again just incase also I.pulled the carbys off again and soaked them.for 24hrs in carby cleaner then wire brushed them with a brass Brush as much as I.possibly could then stuck them back.on but for some reason there is.now fuel spitting out of the float bowl cover vent screw on the bottom carb I.don't know why.this.is.happening as I did not pull that part of the carb apart?

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I agree with Troy about the glass fuel settling bowl/water trap, easy to install one up under the side deck, where you can see water and drain it before it reaches the engine. Maybe the fuel leaking from the carb is caused by a needle valve not seating properly.

8. PAR

Soaking a carb will not clean it. To clean a carb, it has to be disassembled (completely), all the passages and surfaces physically cleaned and blown clear with compressed air.

If it's spitting fuel through the bowl vent, the needle is sticking and/or the float is stuck/improperly set. All of these things suggest you need to properly clean the carbs, then set to spec.

9. Cory247

Cory247 Junior Member

Ok awesome cheers guys I.will strip the carbs down tonight and let them soak then blow them out and see what happens tomorrow night cheers guys if I run into trouble again I will let you.know

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

some of them had little gauze filters behind the fitting in the top of the bowl, very sneeky

11. PAR

There's more to cleaning then soaking and blowing them out. You actually have to clean out the passages, of course depending on how gunked up they are. All the orifices need to have a orifice needle run through them so they're the right size, etc.

12. Cory247

Cory247 Junior Member

PAR, is there another way to blow them out or something? cause my air compressor has just **** itself

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Don't panic, the carbs may not need cleaning so much, disassemble one (carefully noting what parts go where) and do a visual inspection of the jets etc. Might be OK.

14. PAR

Again, you can take it apart and play with it or you can really clean the thing. Compressed air makes things easy and I don't know of a good substitute for it. The minimum you need to do is run an orifice ream through each jet and metering hole and get the dried varnish off the surfaces. A good soak will soften the varnish, but not necessarily remove it. This is what the ream, passage cleaners and air do. You'd also check mating surfaces to see if there's any warping or areas that need to be addressed and setting the carb back to specs.

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Since a carb rebuild amounted to cleaning the outside of them, what did a fuel pump rebuild entail?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.