volvo leg problems

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by flyingstart, Jul 13, 2010.

1. flyingstart

flyingstart New Member

We had a new lower end fitted to our volvo stern leg 16 months ago it has done 400 hours serviced regularily no impact damage and we have been told its stuffed can anybody tell me what life span i should have expected

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Depending on the type of service, you can expect two thousand hours or more. What do you mean by stuffed?

3. flyingstart

flyingstart New Member

volvo leg

thanksfor your reply gonzo. There is a chip on a top cog i know this can be reconditioned but we had that option last time and decided for piece of mind we purchased a new bottem end.The sevicing has been done every six months by volvo dealer.Have you heard of this happening befor

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Chips on gears(cogs) are hard to repair properly. Volvo makes some of the best in the industry and should give a really long service. I have only seen them fracture on impact or worn out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.