Re-power with 7.3L Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by aktmboyd, Mar 31, 2014.

1. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

I am starting a new thread here just to get more choices on my boat. I have been wanting to repower my 22' Lake Winnipeg Boat Works fishing boat. At the moment it has older twin 60 2-stroke evinrudes on it. I have been asking questions in the jet section about driving this hull with a 7.3L Powerstroke coupled to a suitable jet drive. But I am starting to hit a wall due to the working rpm of the motor and it being miss matched to a jet. So in/ob might be another area I have to check into. Any thoughts about a 2003 PSD 7.3L pushing a 22' work boat. What out drive would I need and any idea of cost for all pieces to hook this all up. Thanks for any input.

2. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

What drive ratio would be needed. The motor makes 525ftlb torque at 1600rpm and 275hp at 2800 rpm.

3. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

How is an outdrive attached to a motor is it bolted to it or is the motor a free floating piece coupled to by a shaft. I am trying to remember my dads old Starcraft but that was many years ago. If my memory serves me wright the outdrive is attached at the back where the transmission would mount, is this just for engine support or does the outdrive actually put pressure through the transom on to the engine.

4. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

If a motor had a three point mount, one either side and one at the back could it be shafted to an outdrive

5. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

Nothing! No one has an opinion on this. Good or bad I would appreciate your answers.

6. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

Well there has to be some sort of a shafted outdrive out there I remember seeing pics in a boat magazine of a triple engine offshore racer that had its centre engine farther forward than it's outboard engines.

7. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Have you looked into marinising the 7.3 Powerstroke?
    You may find it more feasible to use a comparatively high revving Volvo or Yanmar MARINE engine, and not have to fight your way through marinizing the motor, then coupling it to the drive.
    Are you using a jet or an outdrive?
    Either option will be adaptable to a driveshaft, but again, will be many cu$tom parts on the powerstroke.

8. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

I am very limited on my selection of motors. 7.3L PSD is my only diesel option. marinizing of my motor is hopefully going to be minimal. There will be no motor hatch so no water cooled manifolds, exhaust will be the factory turbo connector unbolted and turned at an upward angle dumping into a stack, very much like the thru hood ones you see on the diesel truck pulling trucks. so there is no need for a threw hub exhaust coupling and associated parts. fueling will be an adaptation of the factory pieces. I have not made up my mind yet if the boat will have a jet, outdrive or surface drive. I am trying to gather the pros and cons of each before a decision is made. My problem so far is the fact that the revs are too slow for a jet, but might be applicable to an outdrive, surface drive. That's why I was asking for peoples thoughts on this setup. Our boating conditions are bloody cold at best. Winter parkas, toques, and the likes of that heat in an engine bay will not be a problem here actually it will be a bonus. So do you think a custom coupler to a out drive is possible

9. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

Oh also the boat will have a closed loop cooling system. I want to use the coolant to heat my boat.

10. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

Does anyone have any detailed pics of a boats engine bay, with and without its motor I would like to see how everything is attached. Maybe someone who has just done an engine replacement. Thank a lot for any help.

11. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

Did you try googling Bravo installations outdrive installation or other combinations? Perhaps even the Mercruiser home site?

12. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

For what it's worth, Mercruiser used the 7.3 power Stroke as a diesel sterndrive option prior to their partnership with Cummins. Search on the web for Mercruiser 7.3 D-Tronic.

13. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

Thanks for the info on the D-Tronic I wonder why that didn't come out an any 7.3L searches, especially when you google 7.3L marine. Oh we'll no biggie I actually found a 1995 5.9L that will be used instead. Way better motor. Plus I can spin it a lot quicker so it is more suitable to a jet drive. Thanks for all the help with the PSD guys, much appreciate.

14. parkland

parkland Senior Member

I used to fish from one of those skiffs around gimli.
    Great boats, as fail safe and pretty much a tank on the water.
    We had 1000 lbs in it lots of time, and asides from going slower, it felt safe.

I think what you're looking for is an outdrive. Where the engine sits in the boat, and the assembly goes through a sealed hole on the rear of the boat, and the prop assembly can be raised or lowered.

A 7.3 or cummins 5.9 are not the right engines for the application. Both will give you problems spinning much faster than stock. Both will also present problems with the outdrive, as they are mostly meant for gas engines or small diesels.

Also weight wise, I remember ours sitting decent with a 90 hp engine on the back, but I'm sure a 1000 lb engine would leave 4" of the rear above the water line.

Are these the type of boat you speak of?

[​IMG]

15. aktmboyd

aktmboyd Senior Member

It looks very similar to the ones in the picture, what size are the boats in the pic.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.