Car Engine vs Marineized Engine

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by Stuff4Toys, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys 3Hulls.com

Been lurking here a while and see that there are some REAL common sense people on here, THanks for Your Input in advance.

I have an '81 John Allmand that I just love, but the old Ford 351W is showing allot of rust at all the expected seams. Thinking about Modernization and Fuel Economy, I have access to a 2005 Ford Mustang 302 Fuel Injected engine with about 50k miles on it.

I understand the computer issues and the need for a custom CHIP, but what other issues would I run into with a swap like this.

Vlevet Drive 71c 1:1
    Bell Housing?
    Starter?
    Exhaust Manifolds?

TIA
    JOhn ><>

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

add spark/backfire for the air cleaner. to the list. And if exhaust manifolds are not on the market the cost for costom is very high. You can buy a complete marine rebuilt of your engine for around 2,500.00 or less.

3. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Your fuel injection challenges will start with o2 sensor problems. Marine engines work better with a different cam than the one you have in the 302. Marine engines are built a little looser. It might be better to freshen up the 351. No replacement for displacement!

4. Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys 3Hulls.com

Tough part is all the rusted/crusted bolts. I just bought this boat as a project a few weeks ago, and 1 out of 3 bolts are rusted or busted off. I might have to opt for a professionally built long block.

Thanks for helping erase the thought about the 302, however EFI still intrigues me. Maybe I need to convert to MerCruiser or FlagShip.

1 person likes this.
  5. jonr

jonr Senior Member

6. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Previous Poster is correct about no substitute for displacement. Also make sure you go with a High Torgue cam shaft. Once you get the boat up on plane, the mustang cam will be OK, BUT, I suspect you will not be happy with slow speed acceleration (Hole Shot)
    Exhaust manifolds, Starter, Bell Housing are the same. 71C Trans is good with up to about 400 HP.

I have a stroked 302 (327 cu in. ) in my 2000# runabout. Using a 72C Trans, since power and torgue are way above 400HP and 400 lb/ft. Has tremendous Torque, Am able to put my "Entire boat Airborn" from idle speed .

7. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but most marine EFI units don't use an
    o2 senser. There are ways to use one but the trick is keeping it dry. I believe Holley makes a store bought after market unit.

I hear you about the rust. Good foamy penetrant, heat, and patience may be worth trying. You need all the marinization parts, either old or new.

Try lurking around these guys http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

They are racing guys, all motor all day. Fresh water drag racing stuff mostly.
    The dyno room is the place to go.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The car engine has a fuel pump in the fuel tank instead of a sealed one bolted to the block. It is difficult end expensive to convert the whole thing. You can change the camshaft and oil pump on the car engine and convert it to carburated for cheaper/

9. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

TW is correct. I have had the 302 and the 351W. The 351 has a longer stroke and much better torque.

10. Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys 3Hulls.com

Back on this project.

I guess I should have described the boat better.
    1981 26' John Allmand

So there is no need for performance or "Planning" ability, this is a 8 - 15 knot boat.

I have not found alot of info on Ford Marine Engines and/or Mods, assuming that the whole world has gone GM, would I be better of going to Mercruiser for a replacement engine?

JOhn ><>

11. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

I have a 26' Allmand. Been running it for quite a while. Good heavy boat. I put a 6.5 ltr diesel in it back in 2000.

Attached Files:

12. Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys 3Hulls.com

Hey that looks just like mine. I'll bet that diesel gets good mileage.

What gear ratio are you using? Top RPM?
    What did that set you back?

JOhn ><>

13. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

Same velvet drive as you 71c, 1 inch shaft turning a 14 x 13 cupped wheel.
    The 6.5 turns up to 3400. I cruise at 2700. Burns between 3 - 5 gallons an hour.
    Been using it for 10 years and picked the engine up used. Marine power Inc. out of Louisiana sold it to a guy up here who put it in a Grand Banks style trawler. He didn't like it, they yanked it and I offered Marine power 4 grand and they let me take it. I have saved a bunch in gas in ten years. I used to burn 12 to 14 gallons an hour. I like the simplicity and safety of a diesel. The reliability is worth the extra effort and money.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.