Mercruiser 3 LTR with Alpha 1 leg

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by TomJones2, Mar 16, 2008.

1. TomJones2

TomJones2 Junior Member

Hi

I am very new to powerboating having just bought what looks like a very nice 1992 Bayliner 1952 Cuddy classic, I am an engineer and run a Marine engineering company so am hoping to learn all about the boat and work on it myself.

Everything about it looks and sounds ok, the previous owner demonstrated it in the water and all seemed fine but an inspection of the Alpha 1 sterndrive this morning has revealed what looks like a small pipe or control cable sheath on the left hand side of the leg (looking from the rear)

It is clipped to a larger pipe which comes through the stern from the engine bay . I cannot see where it goes inside the engine bay yet but it goes to a connection in the back of the sterndrive just above the anode plate.

The pipe / sheath has snapped , has anyone any idea what it might be ? I have just sent off for a shop manual which will no doubt tell me , but in the meanwhile if anyone can give a newbie a clue I would be gratefull. It is out of the water at the moment in my shop so there is a limited amount I can check at the moment.

Thanks

Tom

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Tom I hate to see people go away without an answer. I suppose you will think the forum only speaks to the familar and shuns newbies? This is'nt of course the case. The problem as I see it is your question ,-you are an engineer and run an engineering company but dont know what it is?-- pipe or sheath.

I suppose most people will think you taking the P and prefer to leave the engineer to work out his own problems.

3. TomJones2

TomJones2 Junior Member

Hi Frosty, thanks for your reply, sorry you thought I was taking the P, memo to me !!! watch how you word things in future . I have no preconceptions about the forum I have read a lot of the threads prior to joining and there seems to be a lot of good advice being shared, by people obviously interested in the subect

Yes I am an engineer and of course will work it out eventually, but being an engineer as I have been for over 30 years has taught me that if you can take it apart you can figure out how it works and put it back together again as the maker intended it to be. My Mercruiser manual is on its way, so once its here maybe it will give me a clue, I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction without having to pull the leg to pieces to find out.

As for the pipe/ sheath its black plastic, about 6 mm O/D and about 3mm I/D can see nothing inside it so it could be a bleed tube or some form of vent or oiler, equally it could be a control cable sheath with the control cable removed, sorry thats a bit vague but it really could be number of things

just for info and hopefully so you will not think I am being a smart ***, my area of engineering is formerly large explosion proof rotating equipment for the Petrochem industry and laterly pumping equipment for very big ships , tankers , Cruise , container etc, marine engines in small craft is very new to me and nothing like what I do for a living.

Hope we did not get off on the wrong foot, no offence taken this end

best regards

Tom

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I cant think of what this pipe thing could be . Its not the hydraulic lines for the rams is it?
    Any pics

5. TomJones2

TomJones2 Junior Member

Frosty , good morning (or afternoon to you) I bit of digging around has given an idea that it might be the pipe for the Speedo, not sure if it was working when we took it out for test, as its got GPS which shows the speed anyway

Apparently the speedo pipe does go into the back of the sterndrive around where the anode plate is, hope it is that then I can ignore it !! will see if I can get a pic or two today and send it on to see if you can confirm. Its definitely not the ram pipes , they flow to the side

Thanks for the responce, appreciate it

Tom

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ahha yes a dangling speedo pipe.
    Thats caused a few owners concern,--its nothing if thats what it is.

Where are you UK Felixtowe Southampton??

7. TomJones2

TomJones2 Junior Member

Frosty

On location , regret not on the South or SE coast , I Hail from up North , Leeds for my sins, so plan to spend as much time as a can in the North Sea out of Bridlington, they have spent a fortune over there making the area attractive for water sports, new marina,s . boat storeage and launch etc , pity they cannot improve the weather, but us Northerners are a hardy breed.

Personally I have spent many years overseas in hot climes, mainly the Med and Gulf countries and find that as I get older the cooler weather suits me better anyway , with Regular visits to the South of France to remind me what the sun feels like on my back

be good and have a cold one for me, I am on the hot Bovril to keep warm

Regards

Tom

8. TomJones2

TomJones2 Junior Member

Problem solved, my Mercruiser CD Manual came this morning and it clearly shows the pipe as the speedo , So I can ignore it !!

thanks

Tom

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Us northerners?-----Us northerners? I was born in Halifax, and Oh the med is not hot, Dubai is hot!!! sizzling. I call in occasionally on my way to Manchester to see mum and Dad in Blackpool. I can get a stop over with Emirates. I love Dubai, wish it were'nt so hot.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.